• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When does a CPU hold back 4k resolutions

Soldato
As title I keep seeing GPU is more important as it's more GPU bound at 4k when people want to get better performance out of their games at 4k.
Some people are still running 2500k and are being recommended to keep them overclocked and get a better GPU. But when does it get to a point that a CPU must be upgraded to get better frame rates in 4k gaming?

In a funny way 4k could be a good platform to have if your on lowish budget as you will just need to upgrade your GPU if you have a 5 year old system already. I know GPUs are expensive but you could be quite happy on a Vega 56 or a Nvidia 1080.

I don't have 4k yet myself so this is just coming from stuff I read on here and lots of YouTube reviews.

Soldato
OP
Glad to hear that my 6700k will be happy with 4k. Just means I'll just need to update the graphics card, hopefully not straight away though as the 1080 seems a pretty good card.

Soldato
OP
Is it accurate that you can game with no to very little AA on as 4k doesn't show jaggies like it does on other resolutions. If that's true that must be quite a few FPS saved?

Soldato
OP
I personally don't bother with AA at 4k, it is very hard to tell the difference and i want to free up my gpu as much as possible. At 1440 tho i think its required

I hope I'm the same then as that must be a bit less strain on the GPU. I've stopped bothering with ultra graphic settings on majority of games as the difference between high and ultra visually can be non existent but it helps on the frames.

Soldato
OP
Depends on screen size, I can't remember seeing much in the way of jaggies with my 27" Samsung 4K monitor but my current 40" 4K monitor definitely benefits from AA and I can see a real improvement with 8xMSAA vs 4xMSAA.

Oh really, I plan on using a Sony xf90 55" TV so that must mean jaggies galore?

Soldato
OP
good luck gaming at 4k. you need a 2080ti and top spec cpu and RAM. even then it won't play all games maxxed out. 4k gaming is ridiculously hard to do with decent settings.

i don't know why your even looking at 4k gaming tbh the screens cost a fortune too. so by your logic of saying it's cheap is wrong. you will need to spend £2K on a gpu and monitor. so having a 15 year old CPU would also be stupid. you would be better off upgrading to the latest when it comes to that level.

Don't need to max out settings to make games look good. Not sure where all this 2k is coming from unless your after a 9900k and 2080ti. Pretty sure posters have run on much lower systems and enjoyed their 4k gaming. Going to be running my pc in the living room on a Sony xf90 55", not the best TV but it's affordable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom