When I was a youngster..

Soldato
Biker mice from Mars anyone?

Back to the OP's point...
My son is 6. He knows how to tell the time and so knows not to leave his room before 7. If he gets up earlier, he reads/draws/plays at his desk until it's time to get up (he's rarely up before 6.30). No TV/tablet in his room so that's not an option.

My daughter is 4 and can't tell the time yet, so just calls out when she wakes up. We're usually the ones waking her up though - she likes her sleep!

When they're a couple of years older, I wouldn't have a problem with them going downstairs and watching some telly, but only at the weekends, and not at silly o'clock.

Soldato
Not sure what channel it was on but on Saturday mornings in the 90's, King of the Rocket Men(I think) and Flash Gordon back to back, both 50's series. It might have even been on during school holidays and not on a Sat, cant remember.

Haha, those are from the 1930s! They were a staple of christmas holiday morning tv, along with Laurel and Hardy.

I made my kids watch Laurel and Hardy, and it's just as funny as it ever was.

Edit: I am wrong! King of the rocket men is 1949, so it's even more shonky than I thought!

Last edited:
Soldato
No never I did hear of one kid his parents wouldn't let him watch Steptoe & Son because it was too rude stuff like that mine didn't care one iota except for after the watershed stuff that was it, off to bed you go.

Ulysses31 was great I've still got a low quality rip of all the episodes somewhere

Man of Honour
When I woke up I imagined cartoons. :p Although a neighbour downstairs had a tv and and once in a while I sneaked in to watch Popeye with their kids.

Back
Top Bottom