• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
If anyone buys a secondhand mining gpu they should feel comfortable with having to repaste/repad it. I have never had to repaste any of my gaming cards within two years of purchase. Any miner that says that the gpu die will have always been run very cool and well maintained compared to the memory obviously hasn't seen this example, https://youtu.be/xC6gDoSwWf4?t=162

Associate
Having a look on eBay at used prices for 1080ti's, prices seem to be back at the level they were in the Autumn of 2020. I remember I was looking at that time to buy one and they were going for around £250. Of course 2 years have passed so they should really be sub £200 by now.

Soldato
Nvidia are going to look silly when they under estimate demand again next gen.
They would look even sillier if they tried to pretend their cards could still print money as fast as this gen used to.

Cards that print money quickly sell much better than cards that don't. Unless something changes drastically with crypto, the next gen cards won't make good money-printers..

Associate
Nvidia are going to look silly when they under estimate demand again next gen.

It always happen, its difficult to say when the mining goes out.
it will but the question is when.
Now the market gonna be a lot of used cards so, until next generation is out nvidia pretty much are in the worst spot they can be

I still awaits rdna3 cards anyhow

Associate
Other than the ex-mining cards and the summer time (which usually sees a price drop, except during covid and mining craziness), will the new range of graphics cards be any more affordable? Everything else seems to be going up in price.

My guess they will be more expensive in general, once the ex-mining cards have found new homes and the darker, colder nights begin, then prices could fairly quickly go up again... Not like the last two years of course.

Soldato
Other than the ex-mining cards and the summer time (which usually sees a price drop, except during covid and mining craziness), will the new range of graphics cards be any more affordable? Everything else seems to be going up in price.

My guess they will be more expensive in general, once the ex-mining cards have found new homes and the darker, colder nights begin, then prices could fairly quickly go up again... Not like the last two years of course.
Difficult to say, all depends on how much money is chasing them. I hear a lot of people, even the higher earners cutting back. If I had a 30 series or 6700XT and above I wouldn't even bother with the next gen cards. Not really the new exciting titles to drive sales either. There still seems to be very healthy margins even at the reduced prices. Lots of factors in play and probably even the manufacturers haven't decided yet.

Associate
Difficult to say, all depends on how much money is chasing them. I hear a lot of people, even the higher earners cutting back. If I had a 30 series or 6700XT and above I wouldn't even bother with the next gen cards. Not really the new exciting titles to drive sales either. There still seems to be very healthy margins even at the reduced prices. Lots of factors in play and probably even the manufacturers haven't decided yet.
True, I have a 3080 and I was yesterday playing with a 2060 super... Very nice card, overclock it and use DLSS or FSR in the bigger games that support it and, it offers up a very good 4k 60 FPS experience, for older titles use Nvidia up scaling (where required) and once again a very nice 4k 60fps experience... IMHO I should sell the 3080 and use the £180 rtx 2060 super in the short term and wait it out for the 4070 and 4080 pricing, it is a no brainer.

Soldato
True, I have a 3080 and I was yesterday playing with a 2060 super... Very nice card, overclock it and use DLSS or FSR in the bigger games that support it and, it offers up a very good 4k 60 FPS experience, for older titles use Nvidia up scaling (where required) and once again a very nice 4k 60fps experience... IMHO I should sell the 3080 and use the £180 rtx 2060 super in the short term and wait it out for the 4070 and 4080 pricing, it is a no brainer.
Yes surprising what performance you can get now. I'm stuck with an old GPU atm so just a waiting game. At 1440p so even midrange next gen will likely last for many years.

Associate
The cards were designed to pull most the power through the core and not the VRAM though, my old 3080 Ventus when mining would pull 160w+ for the memory and this was going through just 4 of the phases
That is an excellent point I hadn't considered! To be fair though, a cool GPU die should mean a cool PCB and the memory is largely cooled via the PCB, so thermals shouldn't be woeful??? Did you get memory temperatures while running at 160W? Would be really interested to know

Soldato
That is an excellent point I hadn't considered! To be fair though, a cool GPU die should mean a cool PCB and the memory is largely cooled via the PCB, so thermals shouldn't be woeful??? Did you get memory temperatures while running at 160W? Would be really interested to know
The VRAM was 110c before swapping out the pads which reduced it to around 85c but I'm guessing the memory VRM would be running hot though when pulling 160w through just 4 phases 24/7.

Caporegime
If anyone buys a secondhand mining gpu they should feel comfortable with having to repaste/repad it.
I have a 980ti since 2015, I just refreshed the thermal paste after 7 years.
The paste on the card wasn't even dried out, applying new paste only dropped the temps 5c and most of that was likely due to the dust I removed from the underside of the heatsink
Why should just the sclapers scalp? There's going to be some long faces when these new cards come out IMO.

I suspect I will just buy a previous generation card if the new cards are silly prices or have stock issues.
I'm tempted to just buy a 6800xt or 3800 already anyway :S

I'ma wait and see what benchmarks say though

Man of Honour
The used prices are crashing in my opinion anyway. Seen used 3090 not selling at 920
Top end that was over a grand to begin with (3090, 3080ti) has fallen significantly but not so much in the mainstream enthusiast sector. 3070/3070ti/3080 still aren't going much under MRSP.

I got kind of suckered in by the hype a bit and bought a high end used card. 18 months ago I'd never spent more then £270 on any card. I also got a RX6600 for my son for £350 several months ago, which looks overpriced now you can get a 3060ti for not much more.

Soldato
Top end that was over a grand to begin with (3090, 3080ti) has fallen significantly but not so much in the mainstream enthusiast sector. 3070/3070ti/3080 still aren't going much under MRSP.

I got kind of suckered in by the hype a bit and bought a high end used card. 18 months ago I'd never spent more then £270 on any card. I also got a RX6600 for my son for £350 several months ago, which looks overpriced now you can get a 3060ti for not much more.
The 3080ti and 3090 were always likely to see the largest drops in prices especially used as they were a huge premium over the 3080 for not much extra performance.

The 6600 was always overpriced even at the msrp as it was basically the same performance as a 5700 for the same price and should have really been around the £250 price point.

Soldato
OK, seems raw nerves are exposed and still being poked. I am subbed to Buildzoid on Youtube and here is what he had to say -

Hopefully that works OK. I don't watch a lot of his videos because as he usually states it is him just "rambling". Good if you like that sort of thing, and he is entirely honest about it. However, this video in particular is very useful. He has *a lot* of knowledge of power circuitry and components. Basically the long and short? don't buy anything with HBM on it (as I learned from buying a Vega 64 last time the mining died) and avoid the 3090 like the clap. The issue? as stated here - VRAM. It only has a finite life, and the hotter and more powerful? the less life cycles you get. This is facts, not something to debate over.

However.

I still would not knowingly buy a mining GPU unless it was pants cheap. Like that Vega 64 I bought. That was 1/3 of the RRP and AFAIK is still going today. Underclocked however with the occasional pink screen of death.

That said BZ does mention the very valid point about fans. Like I said in the "Would you buy a mining GPU" thread ages ago (and where I said "If it was practically being given away, yes" which met critical reception I would still avoid them. New ones from OCUK are not that much more expensive, and even their B grade come with a warranty. Like said, more than long enough to find out if a card is messed up. I recently bought a B grade 6800XT and it is fine. Crap clocker, but then that could be user error and 99% is (or the fact I am using a PCIE 3.0 ribbon etc) but the fact is I have put 200 hours of PUBG on it since buying it and it hasn't missed a beat.

Man of Honour
The 3080ti and 3090 were always likely to see the largest drops in prices especially used as they were a huge premium over the 3080 for not much extra performance.

The 6600 was always overpriced even at the msrp as it was basically the same performance as a 5700 for the same price and should have really been around the £250 price point.
Exactly, a massive gap between the price of the 3080 and the high end cards that wasn't warranted performance wise, 3080 needed to be £750 really. So I don't think one can infer too much from those cards dropping in price, they don't have any other cards propping them up, there's a big gap for them to fall into £700-£999 range

RX6600 was one of those situations start of February, pretty much every highend/midrange card was either selling out in minutes or priced hundreds over MRSP (sometimes both), every other card of that power was going for £400+ so I decided to jump on it. In a normal market yes £250 would be a proper sort of price. I kind of justified it based on having sold his old card (RX480) for £318 last year, so the actual cost to change of £32 was reasonable even if I'd have got a better deal by waiting.
One impressive thing is the power consumption, TDP of 100W plus 20% boost, a lot more efficient compared to Pascal, I used to have a 1070ti which is similar performance but a lot more power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom