• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Exactly, a massive gap between the price of the 3080 and the high end cards that wasn't warranted performance wise, 3080 needed to be £750 really. So I don't think one can infer too much from those cards dropping in price, they don't have any other cards propping them up, there's a big gap for them to fall into £700-£999 range

RX6600 was one of those situations start of February, pretty much every highend/midrange card was either selling out in minutes or priced hundreds over MRSP (sometimes both), every other card of that power was going for £400+ so I decided to jump on it. In a normal market yes £250 would be a proper sort of price. I kind of justified it based on having sold his old card (RX480) for £318 last year, so the actual cost to change of £32 was reasonable even if I'd have got a better deal by waiting.
One impressive thing is the power consumption, TDP of 100W plus 20% boost, a lot more efficient compared to Pascal, I used to have a 1070ti which is similar performance but a lot more power consumption.
I think £650 was about right for the 3080 when you look at pricing for the high end cards over the last 10 years or so, it's only recently we've seen prices jump up to over £1000 first with the 2080ti and then the 3080ti/3090.

Associate
I got kind of suckered in by the hype a bit and bought a high end used card. 18 months ago I'd never spent more then £270 on any card. I also got a RX6600 for my son for £350 several months ago, which looks overpriced now you can get a 3060ti for not much more.
People were paying much more, such as £695 for lhr 3060. Your son has got enjoyment out of it over the months and it wasn't much above MRSP given the market conditions. People were selling their second hand vegas for more

Caporegime
If either team are likely to release their most powerful offerings first then that could mean the mid-range cards won't be out for some time yet. :/

I was all set to wait but after watching a number of vids, I may just grab a 6700XT now. It's not far off double the performance of my current card, sucks less juice, has double the memory and won't require a new PSU.

I would like them to drop just a little more in price, though.

Soldato
If either team are likely to release their most powerful offerings first then that could mean the mid-range cards won't be out for some time yet. :/

I was all set to wait but after watching a number of vids, I may just grab a 6700XT now. It's not far off double the performance of my current card, sucks less juice, has double the memory and won't require a new PSU.

I'd hold pulling the trigger on that 6700XT for now. I'm also looking at a 6700XT right now but not willing to buy with these prices falling almost daily unless @Gibbo has any planned deals coming up... then I might bite?

Associate
The VRAM was 110c before swapping out the pads which reduced it to around 85c but I'm guessing the memory VRM would be running hot though when pulling 160w through just 4 phases 24/7.
Yeesh, yeah, 110C will definitely be hitting lifespan of the memory device, board, solder joints, etc.

VRM running hot doesn't bother me as much. MOSFETs will run at 125C all day for a decade, but they're designed to do so, as are the electro-mechanical connections on the board (big fat thermal pads, etc)

OcUK Staff

We have a 6700 XT from MSI for £469 but hold of a few days as I am trying to get MSI to sort me a deal on new stock so I can sell at £449, I only have 12 units left at old price and have waved a 300 unit order at them on the basis I can buy at the price I want so I can hit £449, they've not rejected the PO so should be accepted and stock here in next few days.

Caporegime
We have a 6700 XT from MSI for £469 but hold of a few days as I am trying to get MSI to sort me a deal on new stock so I can sell at £449, I only have 12 units left at old price and have waved a 300 unit order at them on the basis I can buy at the price I want so I can hit £449, they've not rejected the PO so should be accepted and stock here in next few days.
Thanks, Gibbo. Will do. :)

Caporegime
OcUK Staff
@Gibbo - Will other cards be dropping in price? £449 isn't a bad price but would have preferred it being a tad lower.

Nope, I think our competitors are £500 plus, we don't need to be cheaper but at the same time we can't get them any cheaper, other manufacturers are behind MSI and seem unwilling to move, for most the sales are adequate enough to leave pricing as it is.

I do have other AMD deals which I shall make a seperate forum post on as I think were cheapest in UK now by a few hundred quid on some cards. :)

OcUK Staff
The 6700xt for 449 is that a short term deal or will this be permanent price?

A little unknown right now, I think some of the deals are essentially not making money or even losing money for the board partners so at times they can be reluctant to repeat them and sometimes the next batch could get even cheaper for many reasons such as the board partner doing an even better deal for the pound strengthening.

Associate
A little unknown right now, I think some of the deals are essentially not making money or even losing money for the board partners so at times they can be reluctant to repeat them and sometimes the next batch could get even cheaper for many reasons such as the board partner doing an even better deal for the pound strengthening.
OK thankyou

Associate
What will be short term on the deal are the games bundled with it. The market for gamers must be returning to normal for games to be bundled with gpus again

Soldato
Nope, I think our competitors are £500 plus, we don't need to be cheaper but at the same time we can't get them any cheaper, other manufacturers are behind MSI and seem unwilling to move, for most the sales are adequate enough to leave pricing as it is.

I do have other AMD deals which I shall make a seperate forum post on as I think were cheapest in UK now by a few hundred quid on some cards. :)

I have noticed other competitors moving on prices especially on brands like Gigabyte '6800XT's' selling for £649 however, I'm mainly interested in a 6700XT. I shall await your deals post before making a decision.

OcUK Staff
That's a shame... you'd think others would want to follow especially with new gen coming soon. I'll keep my eye on those prices but would prefer a decent card with better cooling.

I get the impression some brands are just not willing to sell below a certain price.

You have to remember a brand like Sapphire who sells product globally, will often be honest and tell me, Gibbo the price you want is just too low as we can sell into Italy for $50 higher with no issue and as such commercially there is no point in us reducing price by $50 when we can sell what we can product or what we have on hand to another region for a higher price.

UK is one of the more aggressive markets currently, especially compared to some places in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom