When to upgrade

Associate
Hi all
My pc is 5 years old now. Just a rough idea of what I have currently:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4096MB
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer Intel Z97
Corsair Vengeance RED 16GB 2133mhz

It runs most things on max but I've really been wanting to make the step up from 1920x1080 60hz to something a bit bigger with 120hz to 144hz.

My question is. Do you think I need to upgrade my whole PC or just my graphics or will is the jump not that great that I need to worry as I like to run everything on high because gamer ego and all ,. Also will it serve me well as buying a good 120hz+ monitor is a challenge in its self to wait until some time on 2020 or later to even make the jump?

I know my question is kinda vague so if you wanna know more please ask.

Cheers
Ben

Hello
It's never a good time to wait until later as there's always something new around the corner. Monitor, I'd suggest you do a bit of research as regards that, such as screen size, type of panel, response times, G/sync Freesync etc.

Budget (what you want to spend) is a factor in getting advice here too.

Even though the core system is 5 years old its still good to go for most games (It might be taxed by a few of the latest ones though) Your money would be best spent on a new graphics card, not too high though as your current CPU would hold it back.

A good 1440p high refresh rate monitor and a new GPU is all I'd get now, assuming you don't have an ancient, inadequate power supply that is. Oh, and overclock the CPU

I’d advise only upgrading when you run into software that doesn’t run smoothly on your current rig. Hardware generally gets faster and cheaper over time.

What workloads are you throwing at your rig right now?

If planning to move up to a higher resolution and/or refresh rate monitor then I’d start with the monitor and build the upgrade to run my selected workloads at that resolution and refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom