• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will GPUs return to normal pricing....

Soldato
I wonder about all the younger kids that want to get into pc gaming and pc building etc but their parents simply can't afford to buy components, a lot can't afford to buy a PS5 let alone an equivalent gaming PC, One reason i missed out of years of gaming is because i couldn't afford to build a pc or even buy a console. Fortunately i am in a better position in life and i could if i wanted to build my dream pc right now but at the same time the current prices feel like I'm being extorted and haven't pulled the trigger based on principle and thus I'm very much on the fence and waiting to see if anything changes in the next few months.
I know a couple of young people that wanted gaming pcs for Christmas and got some cheap prebuilts with ryzen apus and they've been happily gaming. You would be surprised how little the average person cares about performance, graphics cards etc. The Nintendo switch is still destroying every other console in sales while severely underpowered.

Associate
what gets me are the people defending it and blaming inflation and all teh rest of it not realising the impact it will have on the industry and the hobby overall, i/e less people in it, means less devs, means less games etc really is quite a sad situation if it isn't rectified. and all down to greed again.

Soldato
how long is it going to be until you can mine on a ps5/x box series x?

Wasn't there a super computer built out of PS2s once?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/20-years-later-how-concerns-about-weaponized-consoles-almost-sunk-the-ps2

Depends if it gets jail broken I guess.

what gets me are the people defending it and blaming inflation and all teh rest of it not realising the impact it will have on the industry and the hobby overall, i/e less people in it, means less devs, means less games etc really is quite a sad situation if it isn't rectified. and all down to greed again.

Indeed, mass market comes with lower prices, whilst these units may sell at extreme prices, it will be a shrinking consumer base with an inevitable end game.

Associate
shame he took at out back in that peak :D its not early days its been around for like 10 odd years now, thats long enough to become currency if stable. the simple truth is grim is correct. bitcoin will never be currency until its regulated.

anyway back on track :p
12 years, but it is indeed still early days. The internet was around in 1991, 12 years later in 2003 was still relatively early days. The reason that it's volatile is that 'whales' can sell off or buy up huge amounts at one time which can affect the market price, and in turn cause other people to panic sell or FOMO buy which further exaggerates it. When it is widely adopted volatility will be much less of a problem.

Associate
It's like the entire pc component industry is trying its absolute hardest to completely kill off the pc gaming market and move everyone to consoles

I wouldn't negatively judge any pc gamer who moves to consoles tommorow, it's really the best financial decision
Agreed, I got a PS5 at launch for £360 and it's ridiculously good value compared to even MSRP GPU prices. I was planning on upgrading my GPU too this year but there's no way I would ever pay above MSRP, so I'm sticking with my 4 and a half year old GTX 1070 for the foreseeable future.

Problem is you can't get the consoles either
True, but when you do find one in stock it will at least be at MSRP prices as Sony and Microsoft prevent retailers from scalping.

Associate
It's like the entire pc component industry is trying its absolute hardest to completely kill off the pc gaming market and move everyone to consoles

I wouldn't negatively judge any pc gamer who moves to consoles tommorow, it's really the best financial decision

The PC Master Race was defeated years ago. High prices, low stock, abundance of ****** live service nonsense and lootboxes. Terrible times for pc gaming, except for less demanding games. Some of the best titles have been indie titles, Cuphead, Undertale etc. Steam has been setting records lately and i bet most users aren't sporting a high end graphics card.

I've played some of my favourite games on the PS4 and Switch. Sure, I miss some things like tweaking performance and mods, but man, if I hadn't taken the plunge I would have never experienced Breath of the wild, Persona 5, Spiderman, God of War among many others. I could moan about excusivity but let's be honest, these games wouldn't get made if they weren't console exclusive.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
That doesnt mean that they will return to pre launch MSRP prices though. Yesterday Asus just put up their MSRP by $70 across the world.

I haven't looked in detail yet, but does this mean an increase on launch MSRP, or an increase on what appears to be current MSRP (which is about £70 above launch MSRP in the UK).

Caporegime
I haven't looked in detail yet, but does this mean an increase on launch MSRP, or an increase on what appears to be current MSRP (which is about £70 above launch MSRP in the UK).

MSRP havent changed since launch AFAIK. Just cause nobody ever sells one of MSRP doesnt change that fact. 3080s went up by $70, 3090s by $200.

At launch there were 6 cards which were all meant to be less than FE price and even the most expensive cards like the EVGA FTW3 ultra and strix OC werent meant to be more than £100 more than the FE.

I had to laugh when I got the email before xmas from EVGA about the launch of the hybrid ftw3 ultra and hydrocopper. Both had list prices less than $800 so I think one worked out at £685 in the UK and the other one was £708 inc VAT

As if you could even buy an EVGA base card for those prices never mind their top of the range watercooled cards.

Associate
Been off these forums for a while and have just seen what has been going on. Just LOL. Saw 2 PNY 3080's on another site last night @ £999 and both sold. More money than sense imo, literally bending over and taking it.

Hope this doesn't set a future precedent but I fear the damage has been done and these companies now see that people will pay extortionate amounts. Supply and demand I suppose.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
gigabyte cards have shot up in price, looks like gigabyte joined in with their friend asus.

As soon as one company does it, they'll all do it. So now we have and inflated MSRP to begin with, add retailer and distribution gouging, supply issues and currency fluctuations :D it's just a joke now. I'm hoping there is a crash and this ridiculous price increase bubble is burst

Soldato
Today on another site I've seen Saphire 6800XT nitro + se priced at £949 and also a couple of 3080 cards at £850. And others at stupid prices. I was after a 6800xt but those prices are obscene. Id buy a 3080 but I'm not paying way above £700. I might just sit and wait now. Turn off the alerts. All the stupid prices cards sold quick so there's no hope really.

Caporegime

Well it's not just the industry is it.

Half the people on this forum are now talking about Mega Hashes instead of FPS.

Give people the carrot of a quick buck and off you go...

Back
Top Bottom