• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will GPUs return to normal pricing....

Caporegime
Gone are the days where top/high end GPUs like the 3080/6800xt were £500 at the very most....

When do we think we'll get back to somewhat normal pricing as with these £450 next gen consoles hitting 4k60 and similar settings to PC high, no one in their right mind would go PC now (talking just purely for gaming here)

Pet Northerner
Don
I don't think we ever will.

I do think techs like DLSS will come strongly from both teams to allow low-mid range cards to do a decnt job @4k and be like a console, with more expensive cards not really needing the technology to give the same frames but at true rendering.

Caporegime
I don't think we ever will.
Same. More and more people will just be priced out of PC gaming, whilst people continue to throw around stats that including browser gamers to show how "healthy" the PC market is :p That includes Steams stats, and all the laptop gamers playing Angry Birds or whatever :p

Meanwhile, PC gamer hardware as we know it is just going to get ever more expensive. Because all the vendors are premium and none of them want to be the "budget" or "wallet friendly" option. As if mainstream appeal is now suddenly a bad thing to be shunned, and they all just want to be the brand that Lord Arthur Pontington-Baldwell buys.

I liked AMD when they were the budget champion. The value for money king.

Permabanned
As soon as the madness ends. I mean really I don't know why everyone hyped up the 3000 series so much. The 3080 is a good card for sure but it's not that good. Most people probably don't even need one. Most people probably haven't got the supporting PC or monitor to fully appreciate one. I mean if you look at the real world figures for the fps in various games peoples reports are sliding lower and lower. I can only guess that this is they just don't have a good CPU, good monitor, or, well, I don't know, but a lot of people seem to have hyped them up, bought them, then are not finding the performance boost they expected. I mean there are 2080ti people who replaced with the 3080. Maybe they wanted to spend £700 for a small increase in FPS because they don't want to wait for the 3080ti? I dunno, people are just crazy. So wound up they are happy to pay way over the rrp. Until sense returns the prices will be inflated and stock will be short.

Pet Northerner
Don
Same. More and more people will just be priced out of PC gaming, whilst people continue to throw around stats that including browser gamers to show how "healthy" the PC market is :p That includes Steams stats, and all the laptop gamers playing Angry Birds or whatever :p

Meanwhile, PC gamer hardware as we know it is just going to get ever more expensive. Because all the vendors are premium and none of them want to be the "budget" or "wallet friendly" option. As if mainstream appeal is now suddenly a bad thing to be shunned, and they all just want to be the brand that Lord Arthur Pontington-Baldwell buys.

I liked AMD when they were the budget champion. The value for money king.

it is a huge shame that this time around there wasn't a £200 range card for either team, really dissapointing

Soldato
it is a huge shame that this time around there wasn't a £200 range card for either team, really dissapointing

It's the same as last generation. When the 2080ti launched, there wasn't a £200 card either; we had to wait 6 months. We have to wait months for the cheaper cards because Nvidia wants people to give up waiting and buy a high end card.

Here's an example

GeForce RTX 2080 20/09/2018
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 27/09/2018
GeForce GTX 1660 24/03/2919

That's a 6 month wait for the 1660.

Before that, it was different because the 1060 launched just 2 months after the 1080.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
It's no different than any other generation. When the 2080ti launched there wasn't a £200 card either, we had to wait 6 months. The same as when the 1080ti launched. We always have to wait for the cheaper cards because Nvidia want people to give up waiting and buy a high end card.

Good point, although with the current demand on the 600+ cards I'm wondering how much that'll get pushed back (production wise) this time around?

Soldato
after the global depression

prices are high because it's been a long time since a real global recession/depression - in capatilism we need recessions because they great a "reset" in the economy, without it you end up with run away price inflation.

Debt is the cheapest it's ever been in most countries and it continues to drive asset prices and higher asset prices means you need higher returns and higher returns means HIGHER PRICES - it's a circle that goes round and round causing price inflation in all products, the only way to stop it is with a reset and resets are only caused by a strong recession or a depression along with a credit crunch.

Some thought covid19 would cause the next reset, it did not - because the global recession is extremely mild and had zero impact on credit availability. It's business as usual and that's reflected in prices of electronics where they continue to soar year after year.

I pray for the next credit crunch and so should you if you ever want a cheaper graphics card

Last edited:
Soldato
Gone are the days where top/high end GPUs like the 3080/6800xt were £500 at the very most....

When do we think we'll get back to somewhat normal pricing as with these £450 next gen consoles hitting 4k60 and similar settings to PC high, no one in their right mind would go PC now (talking just purely for gaming here)
I don't believe we will ever see the old prices

Many high end items seemed to of jumped hugely in price over the last 5 or so years like Mobile phones, Monitors, Motherboards, Cpu's, Keyboards, Mice etc :mad:

I remember a pretty high end monitor used to cost me around £500 to £600 and then in 2016 i had to bite my tongue while i hit the buy now button on my £1000 PG348Q , but these days £1000+ is just the normal going price for a high end monitor :(

Last edited:
Associate
It's not just GPU prices, the Fed and other central banks have been printing too much and now it's starting to come back as inflation, in a few years a £2k 3090 won't seem so bad in comparison.

Man of Honour
The only way I can see it getting more affordable, is if this generation of consoles keep a fixed specification for many years. That way the requirements for games will stagnate and a lower-end GPU will be sufficient. It is what happened before. I don't believe the high-end will ever get cheaper though, unfortunately.

Caporegime
The only way I can see it getting more affordable, is if this generation of consoles keep a fixed specification for many years. That way the requirements for games will stagnate and a lower-end GPU will be sufficient. It is what happened before. I don't believe the high-end will ever get cheaper though, unfortunately.

Even that doesn't happen anymore with lower and higher end versions cropping up. ps4 pro, xbox one x, xbox series x, xbox series s .

The console market is like the pc market now with varying levels of entry. Used to be a single spec for 5+ years, now they've seen they can take the **** and crank out other iterations and people will buy them.

Consoles are just sff pc's these days and have been for some time, now they're also taking a pc approach with the tiers.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Covered this in our pre-ampere/RDNA2 threads.

Only thing that has changed since has been the requests I have received to build people's childrens 'gaming machines' or recommend me a laptop and they send me links. With the lack of even low end components it has been a nightmare selecting something that is both affordable and in stock.

This tells me the streaming generation and wannabe next online sensation has a full grip, as these people's children four years ago were demanding consoles for xmas, and now everyone and their granny is dipping into a 'gaming' machine. Most obviously baulk when they hear how much a standard mini-tower build is as this doesn't include monitor/mouse/keyboard etc.

Associate
I don't believe we will ever see the old prices

Many high end items seemed to of jumped hugely in price over the last 5 or so years like Mobile phones, Monitors, Motherboards, Cpu's, Keyboards, Mice etc :mad:

I remember a pretty high end monitor used to cost me around £500 to £600 and then in 2016 i had to bite my tongue while i hit the buy now button on my £1000 PG348Q , but these days £1000+ is just the normal going price for a high end monitor :(

IMHO, I think people have a pretty selective view of 'old pricing', having been there and purchased hardware over the past 20+ years.

In 2004 I brought what would be considered a fairly high end monitor, a Dell 2405FPW. It was £693. Inflation adjusted, that is ~£1050 in todays money. So are high end monitors today being £1000+ unreasonable? It's certainly very much in line with old pricing. The 2405 was by no means the most expensive monitor of it's time, either.

The same is true of GPUs. In 2006 I picked up a new 8800 GTX at launch. It was £400. Inflation adjusted that is ~£600 today. So a 3080 at the £650 RRP is really not too far removed from old GPU pricing either. Obviously the halo products like 3090s are extremely expensive, but the normal cards are quite reasonably priced compared to historic pricing.

It's even worse when you look at CPUs. If you took AMDs 2005 CPU pricing and applied it to today, then a 5950X would cost nearly £1100!

The only thing for certain is some people would be in for a mighty shock if old pricing really did make a comeback ;)

Associate
I dont believe there is an issue here with pricing, the issue is with supply and scalping.

Consider way back in 2003 and ATi (remember them?) released the all conquering 9800XT for an eye watering (at the time) £350. that was a lot of money back then! I couldnt afford one but at least they were available. The problem we have topday isnt pricing. Lets put the super high end 3090/6900XT to one side a minute and concentrate on the 3080 and 6800XT. if they were available in the shops right now in numbers they would be about £750 for the 3080 and about £700 for the 6800XT depending on which brand you chose (based losely of OC prices) which sounds to me about right price wise. If anything prices have dropped since the last round of nVidia cards the 2080.

The big issue here isnt price in the shops its supply. There has been a massive upsurge in PC gaming recently and neither nVidia nor AMD were ready for it. they could not (or wouild not) produce nearly enough cards for the demand and as such gross captialisation takes over. Scalpers scalp knowing we poor consumers cannot source these cards from the shops. The shops watch these scalpers prioces with envious eyes and some will up their prices as a result.

I believe we will only see price levelling when supply outstrips demand.

Soldato
Isn't the answer just...

"When sales growth declines and the gaming market is strangled?"

There comes a point when Daddy won't buy their child a shiny GTX 7800 when it's the price of a car.

I have more than enough income and even I'm sitting here thinking has all this got too insane? Seriously considered a shift to consoles recently and not owned one since the original Xbox!

Ultimately we need more competition... It will be great to see Intel break into the market and also hopefully later some Chinese manufacturers. Having a 2 person race isn't good for any of us or the market.

Back
Top Bottom