Where did all the '\' keys go ?

Associate
New keyboards dont have a '\' key located near the Z key anymore.

I'm old. Very old. I remember playing quake on a serial cable and having to pinch myself because i thought I was dreaming and that nothign could ever be so utterly, utterly winz.

Why have ppl decided to change the keybaord 15 yrs later?!!?

Can someone reassure me it's for the best? Like when we moved to using mouse look? (That was scary).

Associate
My keyboard has a \ in the right place [not in a side street after a night out, ho ho!] - I have seen people larking with layouts though, I think they are just being silly.

Associate
are you sure its not something to do with the language layout, i swear the US/ENGLISH/others are slightly different on the keys its not just the back slash also the hash key i think it is

Associate
are you sure its not something to do with the language layout, i swear the US/ENGLISH/others are slightly different on the keys its not just the back slash also the hash key i think it is

Macs also have the # key missing on their keyboards. It's probably down to manufacturers messing with the layout rather than a universal acceptance that a change is needed. Also I think he would realise if the slash was on they keyboard in the right place but didn't work properly.

Commissario
All my keyboards (mainly logitech, a couple of MS ones) have it in the right place.

However I think for "compact" keyboards, some laptops, and non UK layouts the key can be moved or be a multi-function one.

Associate
I have the Reclusa which has the following:

- Pointless backlights, with more light coming from between the keys than the letters
- Pointless knobs that I never use. Page up/down beats scroll knob, volume knob on hifi is better than on keyboard, because I can see the level on the LED readout
+ Normal UK layout, including normal \, functions keys, escape, insert, home, page up/down, delete, end, arrow keys. yay!
+ Shortcut keys that enable me to load and control winamp while playing a game like TF2 (provided all the tracks have been setup)

The black is starting to come off D and C keys because I use ESDF in games, I must mash em a lot. Still, it was only 30 odd quid :eek: someone somewhere is laughing to the bank.

Don't get me started about keyboards!

Last edited:
Associate
If you have a US layout keyboard like me (Razer Tarantula) then you may find the '\' key is located just above the 'Enter' key and just below the 'Backspace' key.

Don
had to replace my dell laptop keyboard, the US one was about £9 brand new on the bay, so fitted that, the \ key is just above enter, which is werid at first, but makes sense now :)

Associate
OP
The disturbing then, is not that I'm thick and missed the UK/US divide :)rolleyes:), but that huge chunks of the UK resellers are selling US layout boards.

I was in PC World in Oldham the other day. It's quite a good store for a bit of hands-on mouse/keyb window shopping. Almost every non-vanilla display model was US layout. Same goes for Stockport.

I hope OCUK have the right regional variety because I'm paying a visit tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom