• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where does CPU overkill begin with 4K gaming?

Associate
OP
The sentiment generally from people upgrading with these types of questions is: what can I get away with that wont cost me the earth.
Well, the enthusiast in me is all geared up to buy a full 12900K/DDR5 system but unfortunately, overspending on things for no discernible benefit also makes me feel like a dumbass.

I'll wait until Alder Lake and go for something around 5800X level. Be it Intel or AMD.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Nothing wrong with that behaviour by the way, its quite hard to select unicorn components that end up lasting ages due to being strong at the snapshot in time. As the retailers seem to be more expensive since the pandemic you shouldn't be overspending when some tiers lower will offer adequate performance for way less money.

Soldato
If you ever wish to do a GPU upgrade in the future, then it's essential that your CPU was overkill to start with. A perfectly balanced PC with no bottlenecks will have no room for future GPU upgrades next gen. It will cause a CPU bottleneck.

An overkill CPU will allow room for GPU upgrade after GPU upgrade. The alternative is to upgrade the CPU + GPU each time.

Back
Top Bottom