Which 32" LCD and DVD player?

Soldato
I'm sure this has been asked before but I've had a look through previous threads and am still a little unsure.

I'm moving into a new flat and have some money to spare so am buying a new TV, seeing as I've never owned one (sad I know) and a DVD player. I'd like a 32" LCD with HD compatibility and a DVD player that will play DivX films straight from CD.

I've got about £750/800 for the TV and £100 or so for the DVD player.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated, thanks guys :).

Soldato
OP
Looks nice, but about £250 over-budget I'm afraid! £800 really is the max I can afford, unless something extra special, shiny and amazing can be had for not much more.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, I've looked on a few websites and have seen many TVs in my price range, I was just after some pointers.

Same with the DVD player really, I've seen a few that will play DivX films straight from CD but I've heard some players are more reliable than others.

Soldato
OP
BEN_UK said:
That looks pretty awesome, top of the list so far. What's all this HDMI stuff I keep hearing mentioned, something to do with High Def I assume? (excuse my stupidity...)

syfer said:
If it is anything like my 32WL56 I can reccommend one of these. I chose it over the Samsung LE32R41BDX as IMHO the picture was better via HDMI from a Samsung DVD-HD950. No Freeview was a bummer, but I was not willing to compromise on PQ for the convenience.

I could also reccommend the HD950 for playback of DivX, I have not had any issues with playing anything so far.
Can you just burn a DivX/Xvid film straight to disc and play it then?

Soldato
OP
Windle said:
Personally i'd suggest the LG 32LX2R. Got mine a few months ago and it's the bee's knees. You'd have to stretch your budget slightly £850ish but it's the best HD lcd around for under £1k imo :)
I checked that one out but it's a weird looking thing, not sure I like it. The Toshiba BEN_UK suggested is top of the pile at the moment, but I've also spotted the Samsung LE32M51B which is expensive at £900 but soooooooooooo sexy.

I've been looking at DivX/Xvid players too and there seem to be quite a few around, some of them offering HD compatibility too? Is this referring to the input, instead of a Scart lead?

Soldato
OP
It looks kinda nice in black, but it's a whopping £430 more expensive :eek:

I'll be getting Sky/NTL cable TV anyway, so £430 for it to be black and not silver is a little too much of a spend for me I'm afraid.

Soldato
OP
I think I actually prefer the silver finish to be honest, and I won't really need freeview as I'll have Sky/cable TV.

If I decide to spend closer to £900 I'd go for the Samsung I linked to above, it's easily the nicest one I've seen so far.

All this talk of new stuff is making me excited now, I just want the letting agency to approve my application so I can move in an rinse all my savings on toys :p .

Soldato
OP
Right fellas, I've narrowed it down to two possible TVs but I need some advice.

TOSHIBA 32WL66

or:

SAMSUNG LE32M51B

I've found a place selling the Samsung for £860 whereas the Toshiba is £760, so is it really worth spending the extra £100? I prefer the look of the Samsung, but a lot of the spec list goes over my head (and I'm 6'5) so not sure which is the better TV.

Any advice appreciated, thanks :).

Soldato
OP
Toshiba eh? And it has the better spec of the two? Interesting...

I've checked out the others in the Samsung range but they're funny looking things.

Found this on the same site, will probably be around £830 with delivery.

Any objections?

Soldato
OP
Radiation said:
I thought you weren't bothered about built in freeview?
This is very true, and I've just ordered the silver TOSHIBA 32WL66, £755 delivered which isn't too bad at all.

Will let you know how I get on with it in a week or so when I move into the new place.

Thanks for you help here guys, much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
TV arrived today, won't be unpacking it until next week though when I move into my new flat.

BEN UK, I got it from tvandvideodirect.com as you suggested, thanks a lot for the link. Very quick service and delivery :).

Will let you guys know how she is next weekend.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'll get the camera out and try to review it as best I can, but it's the first LCD (the first TV of any kind infact!) that I've owned so not sure how useful it'll be...

Back
Top Bottom