• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Gpu? AMD or Nividia (random thoughts)

Associate
So in my quest to get a gpu; Ive had some time to think about what I would like; as opposed to what the 'gods' may bestow upon me.

Price/compatibility/fan noise/ability/power usage are important to me.

Im not a big gamer but would like to play some games in a decent quality setting.

I would currently feel more comfortable with getting a 3060ti or a 3070 at their price point; was debating about the 6800 also; but the 6800xt can be had for sometimes what a 3070 is selling for. Not quite sure the 6700xt (when it is released) will be worth it - 20 less errr gpu units (whatever they are called).

I had a 5700xt for a year and the drivers have improved so less concerned about crashes etc ...
But Im comparing dlss to the not released fidelityfx or (amds version forgot name).

I am not quite sure; I hear many good things about dlss and the nividia series, and we are waiting to see what AMD will bring.

For the AMD holders - you happy with your 6800(xt)?

Soldato
Now is probably the worst time ever to consider upgrading graphic card when literally everything is out of stock.

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't even care if going Nvidia or AMD, if I could get my hands on either the 3080 or the 6800 at MSRP.

3080 does have superior RT capability comparing to the 6800 (despite there's still only handful of games uses it meaningfully), but it does have less memory (however it's probably not gonna be an issue unless you game at 4K resolution or above).

Soldato
More than happy with my 6800XT. Just a shame that they're like gold dust. As @Marine-RX179 says, unless you're really patient, you probably don't even have the luxury of choosing which brand to go for and will probably just have to grab the first one that comes up for sale within budget!

Associate
You can't go wrong with either, I have a 6800xt and it's been a great card. I'm not bothered about RT, so the 6800's performance didn't bother me either. I game at 1440 so the 6800xt has the edge over the 3080 and that was the main reason for me, the 6800xt also works great in VR.

Associate
OP
You can't go wrong with either, I have a 6800xt and it's been a great card. I'm not bothered about RT, so the 6800's performance didn't bother me either. I game at 1440 so the 6800xt has the edge over the 3080 and that was the main reason for me, the 6800xt also works great in VR.

Oh... I do prefer to game at 1440p with as best settings as I can, and I'd be looking to use a quest 2 in the future with my gpu (amd better for the quest 2?) I had ran a quest 2 using at 5700xt and worked Ok, but my system was an old build Intel 2700k, and I sold both... But have sellers remorse and want to get a q2 again.

Associate
I grabbed a Gigabyte 3060ti soon after launch and was chuffed I managed to get one. But one of the fans made an annoying grinding noise and seems Gigabyte cards have a long history of poor fans.
Eventually I got a refund and I'd not buy Gigabyte again even if it were the only option available.

Some 3060ti's were in stock at another retailer the other day, but the price increased to over £700!

Permabanned
So in my quest to get a gpu; Ive had some time to think about what I would like; as opposed to what the 'gods' may bestow upon me.

Price/compatibility/fan noise/ability/power usage are important to me.

Im not a big gamer but would like to play some games in a decent quality setting.

I would currently feel more comfortable with getting a 3060ti or a 3070 at their price point; was debating about the 6800 also; but the 6800xt can be had for sometimes what a 3070 is selling for. Not quite sure the 6700xt (when it is released) will be worth it - 20 less errr gpu units (whatever they are called).

I had a 5700xt for a year and the drivers have improved so less concerned about crashes etc ...
But Im comparing dlss to the not released fidelityfx or (amds version forgot name).

I am not quite sure; I hear many good things about dlss and the nividia series, and we are waiting to see what AMD will bring.

For the AMD holders - you happy with your 6800(xt)?

It depends on what you prefer - Radeon is a very different kind of product which is build on the free-source philosophy, while GeForce is a more feature-poor product based on the proprietary philosophies.

Radeon can offer you:
- superior performance per watt because of the TSMC N7 process;
- superior image quality because of Radeon Image Sharpening and Contrast Adaptive Sharpening;
- superior drivers user interface - modern and with many interesting options;
- better compatibility with the performance leader among the CPUs - AMD Ryzen;

Soldato
Thinking randomly, its sometimes a poor experience that sways you to the other team. Loads of problems with R9 390 crossfire made me switch. But, no doubt SLI at the time would not have been perfect, just didn't have that setup. Should have kept those 8GB 390s, bet they are worth a few bob now?

Soldato
I had a 5700XT before I managed to get a 3080FE at msrp. I would have bought a 6800XT if it was available. As for RT/DLSS/etc I'd say you aren't missing much. DLSS is fine if you play at 4K but at lower res it introduces a slight blur which I don't like. Strangest thing is that I tried DLSS on Death Stranding yesterday and it actually lost about 5 fps compared to native. Not sure why.

AMD's FidelityFXSR should be competitive especially if they combine it with Fidelity CAS. Overall the 6800XT would be a bit faster than the 3080 so better for 144Hz 1440P gaming. I find the AMD driver suite to be better too.

Associate
Until AMD release FidelityFX Super Resolution and there are games to try with it we will not know which is the superior card Nvidia or AMD. AMD did design the 6000 series with input from Microsoft so hopefully that will be a benefit going forward

Associate
OP
I had a 5700XT before I managed to get a 3080FE at msrp. I would have bought a 6800XT if it was available. As for RT/DLSS/etc I'd say you aren't missing much. DLSS is fine if you play at 4K but at lower res it introduces a slight blur which I don't like. Strangest thing is that I tried DLSS on Death Stranding yesterday and it actually lost about 5 fps compared to native. Not sure why.

AMD's FidelityFXSR should be competitive especially if they combine it with Fidelity CAS. Overall the 6800XT would be a bit faster than the 3080 so better for 144Hz 1440P gaming. I find the AMD driver suite to be better too.

Thanks for that info... I had a 5700xt too but sold too soon and been stuck using my 970gtx till I can get a replacement.

Associate
I've had a 3090 since Jan and just picked up a 6900xt.

I didn't really want an AMD card but it was all I could get in the current climate and I needed a second card.

So far I've established that with both maxed power limit and Auto Overclocked that the 6900xt only trails the 3090 slightly in the likes of Timespy and Cyberpunk feels much smoother and crashes less with the 6900xt, despite the headline FPS being lower.

Associate

I didn't really want an AMD card but it was all I could get in the current climate and I needed a second card.

So far I've established that with both maxed power limit and Auto Overclocked that the 6900xt only trails the 3090 slightly in the likes of Timespy and Cyberpunk feels much smoother and crashes less with the 6900xt, despite the headline FPS being lower.
Fps ain't everything. Lows and framestimes play a big part of the picture too.

Associate
OP

Thanks for that. Good to hear some perspectives.

Back
Top Bottom