• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Graphics Card with 550W PSU

Associate
Hi guys, i recently bought the Radeon HD 7850 OC Windforce. Whilst gaming the card kept crashing my system at random times and freezing my system making it unusable.

I contacted support and am returning it as i was told the PSU wasn't powerful enough for the HD 7850.

My PSU is the OCZ ZT Series 550W, i was wondering if anyone could suggest a similar GPU that will work with this power supply or is it worth replacing all together?

Will just add that i'm I am only a casual gamer and looking for a card around £150ish.

Many thanks

Associate
OP
To be honest i don't think support we're really that interested, as soon as i said i had a 550W PSU that was it without really diagnosing the problem.

Perhaps i just have a bad card or its not compatible with my setup. Everything is relatively new tho and i just want to get up and running rather than sending the card back and having to wait for testing etc...

Associate
OP
Well i'm glad it isn't the PSU then. I think I am just going to send it back for a refund anyways as there is a problem somewhere, hopefully it is just a defect with that card as the rest of the system is running fine.

Once I get refunded has anyone got any suggestion for a similar spec card? I have been put off the radeon HD series after this.

Associate
OP
Yes exactly, the motherboard, processor, PSU, case and memory were all new and only installed 2 weeks ago and everything seemed okay. The graphics card was the last thing to arrive and added on tuesday when the problems started.
I have tried 3 different hard drives with new windows installions but still with no luck.

Its just so frustrating after saving up and waiting for so long and then things not working correctly :/

Associate
OP
Yeah its kinda stange, i can play on skyrim for an hour sometimes with no problem but then sometimes it will only last 5 minutes. I didn't manage to get that far to explain the actually problem with support.

I've read about a few problems with this card relating to drivers etc but after 2 days of trying different things i'm ready to give up.

I am just happy that its not the PSU which is at fault.

Back
Top Bottom