Which hosting provider & which plan?

Caporegime
Joined Vidahost about 5 years ago as it was recommended by someone on here and I couldn't fault them, but ever since they changed to / were bought out by TSOHost, they've fallen off a cliff.

Our community has grown a bit over the last few months which has increased traffic slightly. We are now getting server-side errors, and we need to reload the page.

TSOhost reckons it's because we're on a shared server and say we need yo upgrade to a dedicated server.

The jump for this is from about £4p/m to £35p/m.

I feel like we're being told porkies about the increased traffic causing the errors, and I'm also not convinced that we need to pay 11x more than our current package in order to maintain the traffic we're getting.

Any server type folks on here able to shed any light on this please?

Cheers :)

Caporegime
OP
Cheers all, I've not touched any of this hosting malarkey in ages so my info is long out of date, but is there a tool I can use to see the traffic on the site? I'll have a look in the admin panel later, there might be something in there but a third party source wouldn't be amiss.

As for the site itself, it's now managed by a friend (@GazzaGarratt ) who was handed the keys and got a bit excited, going straight in to the plugin / extension store like this:

tumblr_m19uuuqtCo1qco9duo1_400.gifv

I suspect many of the plugins are fly-by-night jobbies which haven't seen an update since launch so they're probably extremely poorly optimized but I don't think simply throwing more resources at the problem is the ideal solution.

To be honest I think we would be best off just hiring a developer for a few hours and letting him loose on it, there are probably tons of things wrong which we're not even noticing which an experienced dev would be able to sort for us, and it'd save cash in the long run due to not having to pay for 12gb of RAM.

I'll have a look at Krystal, thanks for the suggestion :)

Back
Top Bottom