• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which is the better 7970?

Soldato
So I bought an MSI 7970 OC, despite the low temps the core needs a lot of juice. It also starts falling over way below 1200MHz.
I started benching a second reference 7970 and the clocks went much higher at a much lower vcore but the temps were also much higher. In fact in gpuz I couldn't even see the vcore go above 1.11v where as the MSI went all the way to 1.263v when using 1250mv in afterburner.

Apologies for the very small and messy spread sheet but what do you guys think? Which is the better card?
edit: the blanked out row with numbers is a random game bench i used for easy comparison.

rmb7S7Y.jpg

I came to the same conclusion as you. Going from stock voltage 1175 to 1300 made roughly 2-3 degrees difference on the low asic card! The generic temps just sky rocketed though.

I couldn't seem to get past 1141mhz on my MSI, unigen 4 wouldn't really crash when I tried but I would see flashes of green light here and there.
Because of the info in the other thread about low asic cards performing better at low temps I came to the conclusion that I should be able to clock higher once I get the arctic cooler on despite it only hitting a max temp of 77. Sound right?

Back
Top Bottom