Which laptop should I Buy?

Associate
Hi all,

I need help I'm ready to get a new laptop to use for the following, but can't decide which one and why?

- Gaming - BF4, Killing Floor 2, Football Manager, CS;GO, Overwatch,Cities Skylines, Ghost Recon
- Photoshop
- Web Design
- Light Video Editing
- Coding - Python, HTML, CSS

My max budget is around £1000, no smaller than a15" screen, I do need some storage so atleast 1tb and an SSD. I'm mainly confused do I go i5 or i7, 1050, 1050ti or 1060 graphics?

So far this is what I have narrowed down to:

Lenovo Legion Y520 - £900

MSI GP62MVR

MSI GE62 7RE

Asus ROG FX502VM

Gigabyte Savre 15K CF1

** Do not link to competitors **

Please let me know which one you choose and why, many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Edit the 1st one too.

Avoid MSI like the plague.

The Sabre gets great reviews.

Also consider Clevo/Sager for your budget.

Associate
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies my budget is 1000, however I have narrowed down between the Legion Y520 and the Asus GL502VM.. I have heard great things about the Asus the screen is good and has a 1060.

Soldato
As an MSI owner who specifically bought a very heavy GT72 6QE Dominator Pro laptop with an eye on MXM and large/64GB memory support.
To a point I do understand why MiSJAH suggests avoiding them altogether and having shelled out 1.7K to find no realistic MXM opportunity and a total joke of a, take the entire thing to pieces design, for adding memory, I would advise caution, also the keyboard on my MSI is a spongy piece of rubbish (a friend similar era apache seemed fine).

I would look at Clevo and derivatives too, however I wouldn't/wont rule out MSI on my next purchase. Despite valid complaints above and horrible corporate handling of the entire PR disaster, the good points of my Dominator Pro easily outweigh it's flaws and are generally superior to the competition (which I've seen) IMHO.

I work in content creation/IT and screen quality is probably top of my list. All round the IPS on mine is the best 1080p screen I have seen on a laptop (and Matte with Gsync) and pretty much anywhere (people have reported light bleed some issues, mine has bleed but for my use case its entirely irrelevant), the build is simple/plasticy and a mile away from macs and other "premium" brands, simply put that is a plus, it is reminiscent of a £350 acer I used to own, all that sounds negative but that acer (specific model) outlasted every laptop I purchased and every laptop I encountered in that era, I work in IT and good looking builds <> long lasting, spec for spec the performance V price was/is the best I could find on the market, the speakers are the best mobile/laptop sound I have heard, the blu ray is a horrible DVD burner (coasters abound, party like its 1999) but the split storage (toshiba NVME 1TB HDD) benchmarks very well and the realworld performance backs that up, temps and battery are gaming class which means a under load bit hot/loud and lasts 5mins in games but even under stress tests thermals don't cause issues (the chassis can handle a full 980 so the 980m is no problem) and the software install is not bloaty and non rubbish. I think I'd ditch killer lan in future as I have no evidence is justifies the pain it causes in anything other than windows.

That may sound a mixed review, sadly every mobile device I've ever used felt pretty compromised in key areas, when its the screen it's a killer, in this case I'll take bang for buck performance crown and a great screen over the trival stuff. Obviously its not that old so maybe it'll crash out on longevity but so far it looks like a really good buy.

Back
Top Bottom