which linux to use for a beginer

Associate
Hi ya guy,

I’m lending my bro my laptop for a few month till he can get a good one till uni, in return i have end up with this

Laptop
Intel Pentium M processor 1.7ghz
Intel graphic media accelerator 900
80gb hard drive
512mb ram
At the moment it has xp on and is full of rubbish and running like a dog, also he has lost the win xp cd.

So im thinking of putting Linux on for a few months, and hopefully it will be quicker. My question is which version should i put on, i just want something that will work out of the box and allow me to surf the web and watch avi also download from Usenet using nzb files

Thx in advance

Soldato
If it's only for a few months leave the current operating system on it.
Any desktop Linux that's aimed at new users won't really run better than XP.

Soldato
Lots of laptops have a hidden back up partition, which you can use to restore the laptop to as it was when it was purchased ie. operating system but none of your crap. You'll probably find info about it saved somewhere on your laptop.

Soldato
Hi ya guy,

I’m lending my bro my laptop for a few month till he can get a good one till uni, in return i have end up with this

Laptop
Intel Pentium M processor 1.7ghz
Intel graphic media accelerator 900
80gb hard drive
512mb ram
At the moment it has xp on and is full of rubbish and running like a dog, also he has lost the win xp cd.

So im thinking of putting Linux on for a few months, and hopefully it will be quicker. My question is which version should i put on, i just want something that will work out of the box and allow me to surf the web and watch avi also download from Usenet using nzb files

Thx in advance

I am thinking about PC-BSD, but I am not sure everything will work on it, but I like it beeing the unix core under the hood. Maybe, I should just give it a go, I have OpenSuSE 11, but PC-BSD has the .pbi system & that is why I am thinking about it. I have
EVGA. nForce 650i ultra Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale E8200 2.66GHz
6MB Cache Dual Core 1333MHz 2 Gig DIMM-DRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 512 DDR3 memory (PCIe 1.00 x16). Plus how easy is it to set up a winxp/pc-bsd dual boot?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom