which one to buy...

Associate
i might well have secured myself a new job which will be a very nice pay rise from where i currently am and am considering a new book

im not sure whether to go for the 17" powerbook or the 15" macbook pro

i want the 17" size but is the macbook pro really a big performance advance over the powerbook? i know on paper it is but in reality when im using the following programs will the macbook really outperform the powerbook massively?

aperture
adobe cs2
handbrake (dvd-mp4 encoding)

im also not bothered about the ability to use windows so theres not really any plus there for me, although the universal feature may come in handy in the future i will happily admit.

any suggestions to help with this dilemma? or any advice on apples upcoming changes to product line up, new announcements etc?

thanks in advance

Associate
There's, currently, no intel support from Adobe, so the powerpc-coded CS2 will run in Rosetta which isn't as swift as running on a G4/G5.

It probably won't be until next year before they update their software.

Of course, Adobe might bring that schedule forward.

There's a chap hereabouts that runs Photoshop in Rosetta, so it might be worth hanging on for a better insight.

Apple's Pro software is starting to receive Universal updates, so that side of things will be ok - although I think the Aperture update has been put back?

Associate
OP
aren't apple due to release leopard soon? is it worth holding back until they release the new OS? i'd hate to get caught out and have to shell out for the new OS...

i have to say i'd much prefer the 17" PB but i am concerned its not as good an investment as the MBP...

I mean if they are both performance wise roughly the same at present there's no advantage to the MBP but going forward it will be the tech that will see most development into..

whats also annoying is the MBP gets a 1600X gfx card but the PB has just a 9700 which is what i already have in my current book.... it makes me feel that as they come out at the same money the PB is overpriced

oh man this is causing me a lot of dilemma...

Associate
www.appleinsider.com for more news and gossip.

From an online review of the iMac 17", 1.8Ghz core duo.

As expected, the iMac Core Duo didn't do so hot. However, I think the scores are respectable. Subjectively, it didn't feel that slow, with the obvious exception of the 90º rotation, pointillize, and watercolor filters. In looking back at some older benchmarks I had on file, the performance of the iMac Core Duo seemed to be on par with a 1GHz Power Macintosh G4. That's obviously a step down from the 1.8GHz G5 in the older iMac, but it goes to show that Photoshop is usable on the Core Duo.

OSX is meant to be very zippy though on the MacBooks.

If Adobe is your bread and butter though, I'd be tempted to stick with a Powerbook and when CS has a Universal binary then use that as an excuse to upgrade hardware.

Leopard will still be some time away although I'm sure they'll try and rain on the Vista parade with a final release or public betas.

Associate
OP
thanks, i think if i can get a good price i might just buy a 17" maybe even 1 gen old second hand or something in exchange for my current PB.

is 1750 really the cheapest for a 17" PB? or can they be got cheaper anywhere, anyhow etc.

Back
Top Bottom