Which operating system do you use on your servers?

Soldato
Do you use Windows Server, Linux (and which distro?), FreeBSD, OpenBSD or some other option on your servers? What made you pick the operating system you chose? Any downsides you would say? Also, what do your servers actually do?

On my own servers I tend to use FreeBSD and OpenBSD, I just find them ‘cleaner’ than Linux but if do use Linux then I'll tend to go for Ubuntu or Debian

FreeBSD ports, the distinction between the system and applications and ZFS are what initially drew me to FreeBSD :)
I have to admit FreeBSD has interested me a lot. Especially when it comes to storage servers but it also has bhyve which is pretty cool.

Choosing an operating system for servers can feel like picking the right tool for a job—lots of options with different strengths! Personally, I've had good experiences with Linux distros like Ubuntu and CentOS for their stability and community support.
That is true. I've pretty much concentrated on three server operating systems. AlmaLinux, Fedora and FreeBSD. AlmaLinux is great as you can use all the RHEL documentation of which there is plenty. Fedora is good for servers that do multiple things and FreeBSD is just a really pleasant environment to use.

Back
Top Bottom