Which OS/HDD for my NAS

Caporegime
My next project is to build a NAS for backup. I have an HTPC and did consider putting both into one solution but I'd rather have the HTPC separate and dedicated.

The NAS would go under the stairs next to my UDM SE. My ideal solution would be to have a NAS that auto backups selected folders, new content (e.g. photos) from phones, upload selected content to a cloud solution and have some redundancy.

Any recommendations on an OS, aware of the likes of TrueNAS and ZFS but not sure which is best for my needs. And any HDD recommendations (the staircase is next to our bedroom so need it to be fairly quiet)? The last one I bought for my HTPC is quite loud but just realised, I think it's because it's the only 7200RPM drive in that PC.

Think I'm going with the Jonsbo N1 or N2 case. Thank you.

I’d start by doing background reading some of the previous very similar threads to this that have detailed answers.

Short version is: UnRaid or TrueNAS (core/scale is another conversation) depending on situation/usage. Drives are personal choice, I use HGST Helium drives because the MTBF is insane and they’re cheap as most people don’t have SAS backplanes, though they are also available in SATA. Some people will say WD Red/Segate Ironwolf… I’d touch neither. Toshiba are OK, the higher end WD Gold and Segate Exos get praise from others though.

Backups/syncs are triggered from the client usually, and how best to achieve your goal depends on the client. Also, instead of syncing a folder on a PC, consider if it’s more logical to put the folder on the NAS and your problem is solved. In some cases it is a bad idea, but again devil is in the detail. Usual RAID is not a backup strategy rule applies.

Back
Top Bottom