Which PC game should I play?

Soldato
How about System Shock 2? It is an old game, but still a fantastically atmostpheric FPS with RPG elements and (i think) a great story (links up with Deus Ex in your post).

Maybe Just Cause 2 (haven't played 3, but i'm guessing it's very similar). Open world silliness where you can do as much or as little as you want of the actual game (like a better version of GTA imo)

I agree, play System Shock 2. Dated graphics but it's the game Bioshock was based on (But Bioshock isn't nearly as good).

Soldato
Tales from the Borderlands since you liked The Walking Dead.

I thought it was even better. Different, but lots of character and good writing. You dont have to like or care about the Borderlands games/universe at all to enjoy it.

Soldato
Another vote for the Wolf among us, since you like the walking dead. Really cool story and quite different.

Also, Limbo, and its spiritual successor Inside are both excellent atmospheric puzzle platformers.

Brothers, a tale of two sons is another favourite of mine.

For shooters, rainbow six siege is a fun tactical shooter that rewards thought as well as aim and reaction times. Works best in a group, as does Payday 2 which is also a very fun coop shooter and/or stealth game, but that can be frustrating with a rubbish set of randoms. Also a load of dlc that is hit and miss, but the vanilla game is solid.

Depending on what it was you liked about GTA you might like mafia 2 (getting on a bit, but I really liked the setting). Very different setting and game altogether, but witcher 3 is the best open world game I've ever played so I feel compelled to suggest it.

Also, for a laugh rocket league is great craic once you get good enough to actually hit the ball in the right direction.

Associate
OP
FTL: Faster than Light

It's very nearly the best game I've played in the last 10 years.

Of the ones I've played, I'm broadly of agreement with your likes and dislikes (aside from me not enjoying Half Life and loving Portal).

I found Bioshock (original) to not be much fun. loved the world, intrigued by the story, bored by the gameplay. Didn't like Deadspace either.

I've recently been really enjoying my first taste of Dark Souls, albeit I'm only about 12 hours in and haven't had time to play any games at all for a few weeks. Good if you like a challenge and don't mind a trying/dying/trying/dying/trying cycle (I happen to like that sort of thing).

Just checked a YouTube video of FTL. I'm not doubting it's a good game but not quite what I fancy playing just yet.

Associate
OP
How about System Shock 2? It is an old game, but still a fantastically atmostpheric FPS with RPG elements and (i think) a great story (links up with Deus Ex in your post).

Maybe Just Cause 2 (haven't played 3, but i'm guessing it's very similar). Open world silliness where you can do as much or as little as you want of the actual game (like a better version of GTA imo)

Again, I've heard a lot of good things about System Shock 2 but it just looks a bit too dated for my liking.

Associate
OP
Oblivion / Skyrim ?

Left 4 Dead ?

Unreal Tournament ?

I've played Unreal Tournament in the past. It was out about the same time as Duke Nukem. I never really liked it much in all honesty.

Also, Left for Dead is another game that just seems to fast paced and hectic for my liking with too much going on.

Associate
OP
The Wolf Among Us

I've heard a lot of good things about this game. I'm actually just started playing Batman - The Telltale Series which is OK but a bit slow with not a lot of interaction.

The Wolf Among Us is apparently right up there with The Walking Dead Episode 1 which I enjoyed immensely. Definitely one that I'll be checking out very soon.

Associate
OP
Tales from the Borderlands since you liked The Walking Dead.

I thought it was even better. Different, but lots of character and good writing. You dont have to like or care about the Borderlands games/universe at all to enjoy it.

Thanks. Yes, this is another Telltale Games I've heard a bit about and am definitely considering this too.

Associate
OP
Another vote for the Wolf among us, since you like the walking dead. Really cool story and quite different.

Also, Limbo, and its spiritual successor Inside are both excellent atmospheric puzzle platformers.

Brothers, a tale of two sons is another favourite of mine.

For shooters, rainbow six siege is a fun tactical shooter that rewards thought as well as aim and reaction times. Works best in a group, as does Payday 2 which is also a very fun coop shooter and/or stealth game, but that can be frustrating with a rubbish set of randoms. Also a load of dlc that is hit and miss, but the vanilla game is solid.

Depending on what it was you liked about GTA you might like mafia 2 (getting on a bit, but I really liked the setting). Very different setting and game altogether, but witcher 3 is the best open world game I've ever played so I feel compelled to suggest it.

Also, for a laugh rocket league is great craic once you get good enough to actually hit the ball in the right direction.

Thanks. I was just looking at a few reviews of Rainbow Six Siege yesterday on Metacritic as the series was available on a Humble Bundle deal. However, it got a lot of really negative reviews which put me off.

I played GTA V on the PS3 and games like this and Mafia, I've found, are best suited when using a joypad - which I don't yet have for my PC. I've only recently got back into PC gaming

Back
Top Bottom