Which PSU ?

Associate
Hey all,

like lots of folk here just snatched me an x19xt-x :D
and thought the existing psu might not be up to it (Antec TruBlue 480w)
well i was right the 12v line dropped to 11.5v hardly surprising as its 12v line is rated at 28A and the xt-x can take that on it's own!
so dropped in a Hiper 580w which does do the job, However and heres the problem it's fans are too damn noisy!! despite being 21db rated, the system was relatively quiet before with temps that were reasonable considering the fan speeds (120 & 80 in & 120+psu fan out)

What i'm looking for is something like the Antec with fan control/outputs and a 120mm fan in it's bott, (5 hdd's under it to cool too) and be able to hande the xt-x of course oh and an oc'd x2 3800.

Are there any others to consider or is my best option the newer Antec v2 550w? any thing else i should consider?

TIA

Associate
i had a noisy hiper too, after a bit of fiddling it turned out to be the rear 80mm fan. i unplugged it and now the unit is silent.

although opening it up invalidates the warranty i can live with that, i couldn't live with the noise.

Associate
MrWhippy said:
i had a noisy hiper too, after a bit of fiddling it turned out to be the rear 80mm fan. i unplugged it and now the unit is silent.

although opening it up invalidates the warranty i can live with that, i couldn't live with the noise.

I hope there's still a bit of airflow going on in there. :eek:

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply's :)
MrWhippy said:
opening it up invalidates the warranty i can live with that
Not if your a sneaky/lucky git, fiddles a few stickers before now, Heat works wonders :D

Having seen the price of seasonics and then how much has just gone into my pc :eek: might end up re-fanning the hiper...hmm then again spots dusty cabye opteron and thinks (££'s tick,clunk etc) ..seasonic!
well maybe, what about the FSP's Epsilon ?? not too badly priced in comparison or the Enermax Liberty?

Ta

Soldato
Steves_pc said:
like lots of folk here just snatched me an x19xt-x :D
and thought the existing psu might not be up to it (Antec TruBlue 480w)
well i was right the 12v line dropped to 11.5v hardly surprising as its 12v line is rated at 28A and the xt-x can take that on it's own!
They don't take 28A :eek: More like 12A ;)

Associate
OP
fornowagain said:
They don't take 28A :eek: More like 12A ;)

Oh ok then.

xt19xtx30a.gif

was only going by atitool, not 100% accurate i suppose
but for the amount of heat it wouldnt surprise me!

Last edited:
Associate
stvmor said:
I hope there's still a bit of airflow going on in there. :eek:

well the 120mm fan is still spinning away and the hipers have mesh walls on 3 sides so i think it'll be fine. i've got lowish system temps.

i'll cetainly post up a warning if it dies :).

Steves_pc said:
Heat works wonders :D
yeah i thought about that right after slicing through it with a craft knife.
one day i'll have the good idea before i need it...

Last edited:
Associate
I have just got the 700w epsilon for a crossfire set up. i did try a hiper 580w but it wouldnt even power 1 card in my system (the X1900xtx's are very power hungry!)

The price difference between the hiper and epsilon is pretty much nothing and so far i would say its more then worth it :) if you already have a hiper though and it works ok then it might be worth sticking with it (though personally i wont go near them again).

Soldato
Steves_pc said:
Oh ok then.

xt19xtx30a.gif

was only going by atitool, not 100% accurate i suppose
but for the amount of heat it wouldnt surprise me!
You thought the card was consuming 360 watts? :(

atitool8wy.jpg

Hold you mouse over it. That's the GPU current at the core voltage, say 1.4v or 42w. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom