Which Sony A7s can charge while recording

Soldato
Wondering if the hive mind can answer this one. I've started shooting quite a lot of video on my A7, of climbing stuff, so I typically leave it running for long periods of time. The regular batteries are a bit crap so this isn't ideal.

Could potentially upgrade to one that will charge off a USB power bank while it's recording, but I haven't found definitive evidence of which models do this. The A7 Mk1 I have goes into USB mode when you plug a charger in, and you can't shoot with it.

I've seen you can also get these dummy batteries, can you connect one of them to a power bank?

I'm quite happy with the camera otherwise, not fussed about 4k....although I could upgrade to an A7s2 potentially.

Soldato
OP
I don't have a Sony A7 but for my Lumix cameras which don't support usb charging I use a usb dummy battery connected to a power bank. Might be worth a try unless you really want a newer body which may also bring you other useful features.

By the way it might be worth asking the question in this thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-sony-a73-a7r3-a7s3-a9-thread.18813394/unread
I'm giving the dummy battery option a go, got a new PD power bank to drive it coming tomorrow.

I don't really want to upgrade, the A7s2 isn't much of an upgrade and the 3 is big money. I've no interest in 4k really which would be the main upgrade on a 2.

Will see how the dummy battery goes, seems it's a mixed bag whether it works.

Soldato
OP
Got a 27000mah PD power bank and a cheap dummy battery and it's all working grand, left it videoing for a while to test.

Taking this setup out for some trad climbing tomorrow so will be put through it's paces!

Back
Top Bottom