Which Storage drive is best for me?

Associate
Hey all, I'm after a new drive for storing games on, and I'm not sure which one to get so after some advice.
This is the motherboard I have.
I have a budget of about £140 give or take, and a 2Tb would be ideal.

At the moment I have allsorts plugged into the SATA ports, and could probably do with a bit of a sort out.

Any advice gratefully appreciated :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Don't you mean, rather than a SATA SSD? M.2 slots are usually PCI-E.

This is what I'd buy from OCUK right now:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £118.94 (includes delivery: £3.99)​
I did look at that one, although the model mickyflinn mentions has higher quoted speeds.
I think Im getting confused as to what is what :cry:

Im looking at my manual and I have both M.2 and Pcie slots to choose from, but the seagate says pcie m.2. So will that go in either slot?

Sorry for all the stupid questions:(

Associate
The long PCIe slots (PCI_E1 to 4) take PCIe riser cards, the M2 NVMe slots take NVMe cards like the Seagate. Your confusion probably comes from both sets of adapters exposing various numbers of PCIe lanes.

You can also get SATA m.2 cards so make sure whatever you buy is described as NVMe and/or PCIe.

Man of Honour
Im looking at my manual and I have both M.2 and Pcie slots to choose from, but the seagate says pcie m.2. So will that go in either slot?
PCI-E slots can only fit a M.2 drive if you use an adapter card (and assuming the slot has enough lanes for it).

You appear to have one PCI-E slot with 4 lanes, that you could use with an adapter card (I assume your graphics card takes the other one).

M.2 is the format of the drive, where it is like a stick and this can be either SATA or PCI-E, but 90% of motherboards only support PCI-E at this point. You have 4 of these M.2 slots.

I did look at that one, although the model mickyflinn mentions has higher quoted speeds.
Yeah, I was just looking at the prices of what OCUK sell and they don't sell that drive.

Back
Top Bottom