Which to instal

Associate
Having just watched a youtube vid on linux mint 19 i now want to try linux out on a virtual machine for now. What is considered the most noob friendly to instal and learn to use?
Also whats with all the names is unbutu the same as mint linux etc. Sorry if these questions appear to be stupid feel free to think of me as just that :)

Associate
OP
Running Linux (Debian) in a VM on my server (hyper-v) because I wanted a pihole adblocking on my whole network. It now does several other things as well. I used the VM as I wanted to experiment with it first then move my whole server over to Linux when I update the hardware in the near future.

If you want the full rich GUI experience then make sure you assign it two CPU cores and at least 4gb of ram, especially for things like Ubuntu or mint as they need the extra head space.
I run l my server headless and use SSH to connect and do everything via command line (once you get use to it it's second nature) although I do have a Windows manager installed it hardly ever gets used (via RDP).

am sure this will make sense one day but for now this may aswell be in madarin chinese :)

Associate
OP
cheers for all the replies
I now have mint 19 installed on an external drive via virtualbox, its seems a little un-nerving at first like learning to walk over cinders without getting burned. Now to figure out drivers and everything else.

thanks

Associate
OP
I'd also recommend trying out Manjaro. It's based on Arch but is essentially Arch for Linux newbies. I now prefer it to LinuxMint.

So i gather there are loads of different versions of linux out there, this sounds like a steep learning curve

Back
Top Bottom