Which UPS?

Permabanned
I am considering buying a surge protector or UPS, Not that bothered about battery backup. But it would be nice if my PC didn't go off when someone trips the power so I am considering a UPS.

It would only be for the PC and the LCD monitor. What kind of UPS would be required for a LCD screen and a 530w Tegan PSU running a nice rig?

Do I need a UPS that is over 600w?
Also does anyone know how power efficient they are?
Is charging up a UPS likely to increase my electricity bill?

I don't know much about these things so your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Soldato
iamgud said:
Not that bothered about battery backup. But it would be nice if my PC didn't go off when someone trips the power so I am considering a UPS.

You're not bothered about battery backup yet you want your PC to stay up if the power goes? :confused:

Have a look at the APC range of UPS's. There is a configuration tool on their website which if you tell them what bits you want it to power and how much runtime you want, it'll recommend you a model.

Permabanned
OP
I am not botherd that much but as I am getting a power surge protector, I might as well go all the way. :D

Thanks for the recomendation though. I shall have a look.

Soldato
iamgud said:
I am not botherd that much but as I am getting a power surge protector, I might as well go all the way. :D

Thanks for the recomendation though. I shall have a look.

APC is the daddy, look on the bay you can get pretty decent second hand ones. I got one for £40 and it keeps my PC inc screen etc up about an hour with no power

Permabanned
OP
Ebay. These things are heavy, we have them at work. How much shipping did it cost you and what model is it?

I have also seen the one on OCUK for £20 but it looks a bit weak for my ub3r rig.

Soldato
iamgud said:
Ebay. These things are heavy, we have them at work. How much shipping did it cost you and what model is it?

I have also seen the one on OCUK for £20 but it looks a bit weak for my ub3r rig.

It was an APC Smart UPS 750, the £40 was including postage which was about a tenner

Back
Top Bottom