• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which used RTX 3080 should I get?

Associate
I had a Palit Gamerock 3080 when they first released and I was really surprised by just how good the cooler was. I honestly thought it would be terrible because of the gimmicky RGB effects. (All show and no go)

Soldato
I had a Palit Gamerock 3080 when they first released and I was really surprised by just how good the cooler was. I honestly thought it would be terrible because of the gimmicky RGB effects. (All show and no go)

Agree they were one of the best cards from the 30 series with great board design and components to a cooler that works very well and actually once in hand was a solid built card that felt premium. I have 2 x 3090oc Gamerocks in my workstation in NVLINK/SLI and have never missed a beat to this day. Very impressed with them and how well they have managed to work in NVLINK/SLI and keep temperatures under control, even the FE 3090s failed to work well when in NVLINK/SLI and would throttle or sound like jets about to take off.

Hope Palit keep the design next gen (it has grown on me over time/ hates RGB here BTW) and improve the components as the 40 series they cheaped out a little with components on the board but funny enough turned out to be one of the better cards again and one with some of the quietest coil whine as we know 4090s love to whine and had many people return and exchange many times over for that issue but never saw anyone return a GameRock 4090 for that issue.

Soldato
There were 12Gb versions,.which were also (slightly) faster.

Me, I'd pay the extra for a 3080Ti, also 12Gb, and faster still.

I have one, and it's a great performer, even more so, with the latest Fake Frame Fabricator ®

Depends how much extra tbh. The 3080 12GB is only 5% faster than the original 3080 and the 3080Ti only 10% faster. There's also not much real-world difference between 10GB and 12GB of VRAM.

If you can get the 12GB or Ti for only 5/10% more then fine but otherwise, with 3080 10GB cards going for around £350 these days, I think that's still the best value.

Caporegime
Depends how much extra tbh. The 3080 12GB is only 5% faster than the original 3080 and the 3080Ti only 10% faster. There's also not much real-world difference between 10GB and 12GB of VRAM.

If you can get the 12GB or Ti for only 5/10% more then fine but otherwise, with 3080 10GB cards going for around £350 these days, I think that's still the best value.
But an extra 2GB of VRAM?!?! :D

Soldato

Same.
I've had a few palit cards and to be fair I've not had a problem with any of them. Their performance has always been in the middle of the pack and temps/noise have always been fine. Usually they've been one of the cheaper options as well

Back
Top Bottom