Whining from PSU

Soldato
On one of my builds I think I have a EVGA SuperNOVA 750W B1 PSU. It has literally started to whine. Only whines when my computer is turned off, never when it is on. I also found if I take out certain USB devices the pitch of the whine changes. Also my Avermedia lite capture card, when I turn my computer off the circular LED now goes purple. I've never seen it any colour other than blue or red. How do I get it to stop whining? I've only had this PSU for a couple of months.

Associate
There's something not right with that PSU. If it's only a couple of months old, get it RMAd. I have had PSUs whine whilst off, but that was a long time ago when I had a really cheap and nasty PSU.

Man of Honour
Are you saying PC off.. or PSU off.. If PC off, then it still supplies the PC with a small current to start when you hit the power button or WOL when requested. No matter, it sounds like it's having problems discharging or small capacitor is touching something that is causing the whine. They normally fix this with a small amount of resin or glue even.

I would RMA - no hesitation..

Soldato
OP
Are you saying PC off.. or PSU off.. If PC off, then it still supplies the PC with a small current to start when you hit the power button or WOL when requested. No matter, it sounds like it's having problems discharging or small capacitor is touching something that is causing the whine. They normally fix this with a small amount of resin or glue even.

I would RMA - no hesitation..

I was saying the PSU is whining whilst the PC is off. It looks like I will be RMAing then. I should deal directly with EVGA right (didn't buy it here)? Do they take long in these matters?

Back
Top Bottom