"whitewashing" garbage

Caporegime
Italian vs. British?

Latin vs. Anglo-Saxon....
Both are white racial groups, just the same as Japanese and Korean are both Asian racial groups. You're being very obtuse if you aren't prepared to see that.

Besides, I'm not sure there is such a grouping as "Latin" in terms of race or ethnicity, and British people are far from exclusively Anglo Saxon, even among white British people.

Soldato
OP
To be fair it's a much closer match and he definitely looks the part, this is one occasion i'm happy with the casting now
arguably, but didn't this whole thing kick off because a non-Japanese actor was cast to play a half-Japanese character? We now have exactly the same scenario, and yet one guy stepped down to avoid "whitewashing" and the other guy thanks him after taking his paycheque and not half-Japanese either! if he thinks Ed was so noble, why isn'the doing the same thing? more to the point, why did he audition in the first place?

damn this keyboard sucks, keeps putting typos everywhere.

Soldato
Italian vs. British?

Latin vs. Anglo-Saxon....
Latin would be central/south america aka Hispanic, wouldn't it?

This one has always been confusing as well as you can be white/black/south asian/native central or southern american and any random mix of them and still be Latin/hispanic :)

Soldato
arguably, but didn't this whole thing kick off because a non-Japanese actor was cast to play a half-Japanese character? We now have exactly the same scenario, and yet one guy stepped down to avoid "whitewashing" and the other guy thanks him after taking his paycheque and not half-Japanese either! if he thinks Ed was so noble, why isn'the doing the same thing? more to the point, why did he audition in the first place?

damn this keyboard sucks, keeps putting typos everywhere.

Eh?

Yes this while thing kicked off because someone who didn't even remotely look Asian, specifically Oriental, was cast as a character who is half Japanese.

That's quite a bit different to someone who is actually Oriental, but not necessarily Japanese getting the role.

Daniel Dae Kim stepping down because he isn't actually Japanese, is silly. He can pass playing a Japanese character, whereas Ed Skrein cannot.

Caporegime
Eh?

Yes this while thing kicked off because someone who didn't even remotely look Asian, specifically Oriental, was cast as a character who is half Japanese.

That's quite a bit different to someone who is actually Oriental, but not necessarily Japanese getting the role.

Daniel Dae Kim stepping down because he isn't actually Japanese, is silly. He can pass playing a Japanese character, whereas Ed Skrein cannot.
Pro-tip, I recently learnt that Oriental is actually not an appreciated term by East Asians (I have always used it to distinguish from Indian Asians).

Basically, they prefer the term Asian, with East Asian, South East Asian, and South Asian differentiating between areas of Asia.

This is via various people I have met from China, Japan, Vietnam and Korea. I had no idea.

Soldato
OP
Eh?

what's "eh" about it, can't you follow a simple statement? and you saying in effect "all oriental types look the same to me" is racist too.

Soldato
slightly off topic but a diversity issue in the BBC casting, surprising it did not make the BBC news
There are "no plans" to introduce same-sex couples to Strictly Come Dancing, the BBC has said
so I guess C4 leads the way (well that was its remit) with Couples come dine with me, first dates, street mate, Dinner Dates, ..
don't know about Kirsty&Co.
....... prudish Auntie ?

The sexual preferences of the contestants don't have relevance to a dancing competition.
It's not a mating contest. (Even if some of the contestants/dancers forget this)

Caporegime
slightly off topic but a diversity issue in the BBC casting, surprising it did not make the BBC news
There are "no plans" to introduce same-sex couples to Strictly Come Dancing, the BBC has said
so I guess C4 leads the way (well that was its remit) with Couples come dine with me, first dates, street mate, Dinner Dates, ..
don't know about Kirsty&Co.
....... prudish Auntie ?
Genuine question for you to answer... How prevalent is same sex dancing in the ballroom dancing world? Like, in actual competitions? How does it work?

If it doesn't happen in the wider sport, why should it happen on the TV show?

Caporegime
what's "eh" about it, can't you follow a simple statement? and you saying in effect "all oriental types look the same to me" is racist too.
If you aren't prepared to accept that a Korean person is more likely to look like a Japanese person than a British person is, then I'm not sure any amount of discussion is going to help.

Soldato
OP
If you aren't prepared to accept that a Korean person is more likely to look like a Japanese person than a British person is, then I'm not sure any amount of discussion is going to help.
if you're not prepared to accept that saying a Koream looks enough like a Japanese is as offensive as "they look all the same to me", no amount of discussion will help you.

Caporegime
if you're not prepared to accept that saying a Koream looks enough like a Japanese is as offensive as "they look all the same to me", no amount of discussion will help you.

It's probably worth looking up the ethnic origins of Korean/Japanese before you go any further.

Then worth looking into the origins of Anglo Saxons and "white Europeans".

It will solve a lot of the dilemmas you're having.

Caporegime
The most racist thing about this is not being allowed to cast a white person as an originally Asian character. That's the definition of racist.

Regards same sex couples in dancing competitions; let the market decide. I won't be watching it.

Caporegime
The most racist thing about this is not being allowed to cast a white person as an originally Asian character. That's the definition of racist.

They were allowed.

You make it sound as if they were legally banned from doing so.

A white British actor rightly stood aside so it could be cast more appropriately. It now has been

A well known US/Asian actor in now in the role of a US/Asian character.

Everyone is now happy, other than some hard-line internet nerds who feel equality is somehow harmful/detrimental to white people.

Back
Top Bottom