Who doesn't own a property?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consigliere
Just curious really.

I am 33 and generally been renting around London for years in shared houses. I am currently living at home and trying to move back to London but wow having the extra £600-800 a month spare to go right into savings is wonderful. :o

I will be able to buy soon when my family downside however certainly not anytime soon.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it...wish I'd saved more when I was younger and got onto the property ladder. :(

Just seeing if there are others like me.

Consigliere
OP
This is the big thing isn't it wish I'd bought sooner, I'll be mortgage free next October and am so looking forward to it, massive monkey off your back when you realise you won't have to pay a mortgage or rent ever again (life changing events aside).

I really don't see how many young people are going to get on the property ladder without significant assistance from family in the very near future.

Mmm. I mean at the moment, I'll have £15k which is nothing when it comes to property so its a long way to go. And wait for family to downsize.

Consigliere
OP
Exactly, in London you'll need at least double that deposit and then your mortgage will probably be a grand a month, crazy stuff

Yeah its mad how pricey houses/flats are in London. I would be looking at Zone 6 or something...kinda at the end of the Northern Line perhaps.

Consigliere
OP
Part of the problem I see is that everyone I know who lives in London also leads a way more sociable life than me. They tend to finish work and go for drinks with colleagues etc. Buy god knows how much crap from Pret or somewhere and make sure they dress well enough to fit in with the crowd.

London property prices are only half of the problem. The London lifestyle is pricey af.

As someone who lived in London from 19 - 31, I can confirm this to be the case. Our entire income is spent on rent and going out on the cheap. You literally can't save. :(

Consigliere
OP
What would you do with an example of £250-500k cash house sale out of interest?

Some people sell up, move to a cruise ship and just sale around the world until they die.

93 nights, £10k:
https://www.rolcruise.co.uk/cruise-...-beauty-of-africa-the-indian-ocean-2023-11-19

So 4 cruises a year give or take hotels inbetween between them = £50k a year per person?

I guess there could be many discounts included plus pension income.

This is me googling for 5 seconds though. :p

Consigliere
OP
I sailed as a crew member one trip and someone's partner died, they continued the cruise... Personally slightly tragic doing the constant cruises, maybe if you said its a 180 day world cruise as a bucket list one off I'd join you on that idea but to continually go on cruise's at the end of life... Hmm

I see what you're doing here...look, ok we can go on a cruise together. :cool:

On a serious note, I see the appeal. Rather than being stuck at home watching Holly and Phil on This Morning, you could be visiting random countries around the world and meeting new people everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom