Who else has preordered Octopath travlers!

Soldato
Well I've been breezing through chapter 3 until the last one level 40 Primrose. Wow totally getting wrecked at the second phase.

Wasn't too bad in the end. Walked around a bit to level up Primrose and went back and beat him first try. Just had to manage the adds and it was fine. Fun fight. On to Chapter 4!

Caporegime
Alfyn Chapter 4 done!

That was a doozy :o

Took me 5 attempts. Slightly changing tactics each time and kept getting stupidly close to beating it. In the end I thought about it during the day and then REALLY changed tactics, swapped the jobs for a couple of characters, used the built up JP to get some skills to strengthen the characters and improve HP giving them more of a fighting chance.

5th attempt, nailed it. Man o man was I laying on the damage.

Also, the irony is I did it as I wanted to remove Alfyn from the party for Ophylia, but now I think I'll keep him. New found love for his concoct skillset :D - he's an excellent healer and can really lay down the damage when needed. Also a good BP battery.

Caporegime
Been a while since I touched this, since I touched the Switch really. Well tonight I finished off 3 x level 4 chapter bosses. 71 hours into this game now. In terms of main chapters I still have Cyrus, Therion & Olberic to do, I've saved the best for the last :cool:

Have found some of the special shrines which I need to go back and conquer. :) - also did this game get a patch? The gameplay seems smoother!

Soldato
I saw you playing it yesterday. I burnt out with it after some chapter 4 failures. I did 2 of them then hit a wall. Moved on to other things and didn't feel compelled to go back. Traded it in a couple of weeks ago. Certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Caporegime
I can see how you burned out. I thought for a time I had as well. But I realised I wasn't playing any games, not just OT.

I needed a break from gaming in general.

I aim to 100% the game. I won't be trading it in as I plan on replaying it in the future, but I've got a couple of friends in the UK who want to give it a go so I'll send it to one of them and they can play it then send it on to the other, so I'll pick it up again at some point in the future off of them :p

Its funny how some of the Lvl 4 bosses have been hard as balls but the 3 last night were a breeze. Well, not a breeze, still required thought, but were achieved on a first attempt without struggling kind of thing.

Caporegime
Finished the main storyline! 82 hours in total, also took on the 4 "special" shrines so now my party is pumping out a ridiculous amount of damage, as such, nothing really feels like a challenge anymore. I'll give myself a break from the game and will come back to complete the sub quests at some point. But man, what a journey. I loved it :)

Now its opened up the genre of JRPGs to me more in the future :o

Man of Honour
How are you finding Nier? W3 and HZD didn't do much for me but I am interested in Nier.

I'm really enjoying it a lot. Its very rare that I get caught up in the story in open world games as they are usually really naff like in BotW.

The combat and movement is really well designed and fluid, and the upgrade and equip systems are addictive if a little grindy.

It's a very different game to most open world games and I'm a little hesitant to call it one as the main story is linear.

Keep in mind that it's very quirky and Japanese though, but that also adds to why it's a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Caporegime
It's well worth getting a PS4. I would be missing out on the best games of this generation if I only had a switch, and the PS4 so cheap now.
I just cannot stand Sony controllers. Never have. Otherwise I would be tempted.

I can get a Xbox One X or S on discount through work though. So thats tempting. But aside from that I don't really have the room for it in my living room. So I am happy holding off.

Soldato

I really like PlatinumGames' output (MadWorld, Bayonetta, Vanquish etc) so I am just waiting for the right time to get to it. My current PS4 game is God of War which I am really enjoying. Might pick it up when I am done with that.

Phate the DS4 controller isn't bad at all. Much better than anything they've done before. PS4 exclusives really are worth picking one up for. The Xbox not so much for me. The 360 was my main console last gen but I am finding it all a bit tired now (Gears/Forza/Halo).

Caporegime
Phate the DS4 controller isn't bad at all. Much better than anything they've done before. PS4 exclusives really are worth picking one up for.
I've tried it, admitedly not extensively but when I played it like on every other PS controller, by the end of the evening my hands were cramping and aching. :(

Man of Honour
I just cannot stand Sony controllers. Never have. Otherwise I would be tempted.

I can get a Xbox One X or S on discount through work though. So thats tempting. But aside from that I don't really have the room for it in my living room. So I am happy holding off.

There are no good XBox exclusives so it's very hard to recommend one over a PS4 unless you are primarily an online gamer. It's weird that you have such a hatred of Sony controllers given how bad the joycons are, but the PS4 pad is an enormous improvement over the previous generations of Sony controllers.

Also, how small is your living room? Being unable to physically fit a console in is hard to believe.

Caporegime
There are no good XBox exclusives so it's very hard to recommend one over a PS4 unless you are primarily an online gamer. It's weird that you have such a hatred of Sony controllers given how bad the joycons are, but the PS4 pad is an enormous improvement over the previous generations of Sony controllers.

Also, how small is your living room? Being unable to physically fit a console in is hard to believe.
I don't really like the joy cons either :p i have some grips which makes it more fitting to the hand and more managable. My living room itself isn't small, its pretty big! But the current layout leaves very little space for another console. And it can't really be changed. The Switch sits on top of my amp as it is.

So I'll leave it. We're likely moving next year to a place of our own, I can setup a tv cabinet of sorts then and find room for another console. Probably the PS5 or next Xbox at this rate.

Associate
Just finished this, really enjoyed it if not a bit easy to get overpowered, spent most of chapter 4 skipping fights as had no real need to lvl and still breased through the bosses. Overall my fav JRPG for a long time.

Associate
Thread revival!

Played the demo (great idea for them to do this by the way) sat night/Sunday morning and then immediately upgraded to the full game, but not had a chance to progress much further yet.

Started with H’aanit but found the text a little jarring in olde worlde style. Picked up Ophilia next and it was much better, liked her story. The visuals in the snow and around the cathedral were stunning, especially from the mountain overlook.

Really impressed so far!

Soldato
man this game is frustrating, difficulty spikes all over the place and what starts out as on ok pace blows out into full blown super grind after 20 hours

Back
Top Bottom