Who else has preordered Octopath travlers!

Associate
Played far too much last night/this morning :o

Completed chapter 2 for Cyrus, Ophilia, Therion and Primrose.

Explored to the point I've uncovered all the world map, near enough robbed and scrutinised every NPC - except in the huge town on the north East coast (Grandport, I think?) far too big!

Olberic now level 42, with the other 3 mentioned above at the 40 mark. Other 4 haven't really been used much outside adding them to party so around 15-20ish.

I've collected all of the basic secondary jobs but not really dabbled outside of the previously mentioned combos as they seem to be working really well at the moment.

located all of the advanced job shrines but they're a danger level 50 on cave entry and then protected by uber bosses that hit for truckloads at this stage, definitely intended as late-game I think. Will have to keep checking back periodically.

Regretting not bringing the Switch to work, I'm hooked :eek:

Caporegime
Tried chapter 2 of Alfyn boss three times now...

...Died 3 times :(

The first time I put it down to my characters being too low a level. So after putting Cyrus back in the group in exchange for Therion and some significant levelling (Alfyn & H'aanit now at 30. Olberic at 26 and Cyrus at 20-21) I thought I would try again.

Ultimately, despite putting up a much better fight this time, I still lost (well, lose)

For anyone who knows this boss. I can handle her 2 guards and kill them and get on to chipping away at her HP well enough, especially considering they have a defense of 6 each plus something like 10K HP. However, after a few turns she revives them and that's when it begins to go down hill for me. It's at that point my characters are all worn down that bit more that they eventually win the battle. I can maybe take ito one of them but I eventually lose. Bah!

Have to rethink strategy here. I did try tanking with Olberic which helps a lot but when the woman apocathery uses concoct based attacks they're often targeted towards the group regardless.

Maybe I just need to enforce the tank more and try to buff him with the other characters. Hmmmm.

I'll be thinking about this over dinner tonight :p

Still, it's awesome to be properly challenged. It's been a while since a game has made me want to throw it out the wall in frustration! :p

Associate
OP
Tried chapter 2 of Alfyn boss three times now...

...Died 3 times :(

The first time I put it down to my characters being too low a level. So after putting Cyrus back in the group in exchange for Therion and some significant levelling (Alfyn & H'aanit now at 30. Olberic at 26 and Cyrus at 20-21) I thought I would try again.

Ultimately, despite putting up a much better fight this time, I still lost (well, lose)

For anyone who knows this boss. I can handle her 2 guards and kill them and get on to chipping away at her HP well enough, especially considering they have a defense of 6 each plus something like 10K HP. However, after a few turns she revives them and that's when it begins to go down hill for me. It's at that point my characters are all worn down that bit more that they eventually win the battle. I can maybe take ito one of them but I eventually lose. Bah!

Have to rethink strategy here. I did try tanking with Olberic which helps a lot but when the woman apocathery uses concoct based attacks they're often targeted towards the group regardless.

Maybe I just need to enforce the tank more and try to buff him with the other characters. Hmmmm.

I'll be thinking about this over dinner tonight :p

Still, it's awesome to be properly challenged. It's been a while since a game has made me want to throw it out the wall in frustration! :p
Olberics Defence ability also blocks damage for party members just incase you were unaware hope it helps!

Soldato
I'm about 4.5 hours in. Just finished Alfyns intro and started Primroses. Love the game. Fight frequency can get a bit annoying but I guess that's some kind of mechanic to get everyone at right lvl for stage in game.

Took ages fighting snake boss and it wasn't til afterwards I remembered I have skill points to spend, then sure enough I had an unlearned skill that removes negative effects. Doh!

Associate
Completed Alfyn and H'aanit's chapter 2, just Tressa left to do. Really annoys me when I swap out Therion for the chapter stories only to find the 'dungeon' areas have at least 2 of the thief only chests :o

Can't provide meaningful advice on the Alfyn fight sorry as I think having two Scholars makes keeping bosses broken that are weak to magic really easy :(

If you have the warrior job, giving that to the lower level characters when grinding xp or doing chapters makes them a bit more hardy. I also have a +600 and +500 hp trinket that keeps them from getting one shotted.

Caporegime
Woohoo :D finished Alfyn chapter 2 on the 4th attempt :D

As others mentioned, using Olberic to trac was key. Also...

Once you took it out the two guards, her herself wasn't that tough.

It took a lot of patience and planning each move along with using my head over heart and buffing all characters when possible instead of trying to go for max damage. But it felt awesome when the job was done :)

Who's next for chapter 2....hmmm

Associate
Good stuff :D

There's an optional snake boss in the southern desert - Quicksand Caves danger level is 40 but I did it a little under 40 for the party I think- this has a similar but even more infuriating mechanic which took me two attempts to get over :o Got a cracking bow though with +306 Physical attack and +245 Elemental as well as chance to confuse on hit!

All chapter 2 done now, Going to start on Therion 3 then have a crack at Olberic 4 :)

Caporegime
Time for more question :p

If I equip a secondary job to someone and use some JP to unlock a few skills. Then change that job to someone else, do I need to spend JP again to unlock it to the other person? Or does it carry over?

Associate
Time for more question :p

If I equip a secondary job to someone and use some JP to unlock a few skills. Then change that job to someone else, do I need to spend JP again to unlock it to the other person? Or does it carry over?

All the extra jobs are levelled per character so yes, unfortunately lots of JP needed!

Caporegime
H'aanit Chapter 2 done. Completed on first attempt but it took me a while to figure out the boss mechanic :o

Great fight though!

Plainsong - it's brilliant mate. Looks fantastic, great stories, it's an excellent package overall :)

Back
Top Bottom