Why 2 smp clients?

Associate
Ive noticed a lot of people say they are running 2 smp clients, why? Does this increase performance? Should I run 2 on my q6600? I currently run just 1 but maxes out all 4 cores. How do I run 2 smp clients?

Associate
Are you Running Windows or Linux ?

On Windows VMware Linux 64-bit UB-8.04 I run SMP under 2x CPU folders
CPU1
CPU2

VMware only allows for 2x CPU's that's why you need to run two clients to really Max the Quad out.

In Linux Native UB-8.04 install, I run 4x CPU folders. I dont have the totals at my finger tips, but on my 3 GHz Q6600, I'm sure it's over 5000 PPD in that configuration.

[Edit]
I dont have a WinDoze SMP client installed on any of my machines, so I can't comment on a native WinDoze Install.
[/Edit]

Soldato
Yes, you need only run 1 client. Running 2x clients in 2xVMs is for us obsessives who have dedicated boxes. Running it this way is pretty resource heavy and not really good for PCs getting everyday use.

Edit - and the free version of VMWare we all use only allows 2 cpus or core per VM so we run two VMs to use all four cores. Seems to squeeze out a few more ppd running multiple clients too. I wouldn't recommend running two WinSMP clients at the same time anyway because Windows handling of SMP code in general isn't as good as Linux/MacOSX.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have always run 2 win smp's on my Q6600 for month now, however over the last day it clearly apparent that 1 win smp & the gpu folding client are outputing nearly 6.5k ppd versus around 3.5k ppd on the 2 win smp clients.

I will revert to 2 x win smp clients when gaming etc so my gpu is freed up but from here on i will be running 1 x win smp and 1 x gpu client for max ppd.

Also need to bump my clocks on my gpu to see how much that effects the ppd when i have a few days of data to look at.

Soldato
i have always run 2 win smp's on my Q6600 for month now, however over the last day it clearly apparent that 1 win smp & the gpu folding client are outputing nearly 6.5k ppd versus around 3.5k ppd on the 2 win smp clients.
I will revert to 2 x win smp clients when gaming etc so my gpu is freed up but from here on i will be running 1 x win smp and 1 x gpu client for max ppd.

Also need to bump my clocks on my gpu to see how much that effects the ppd when i have a few days of data to look at.

Nooo . . . :(

Soldato
I run two WinSMP clients under XP as it can give 50% more PPD than one client. Your PC may report that it's maxed out with one but watch those CPU temps rise with two! With the current nasty 2665 WUs, I get about 1800 PPD with one client but almost 2800 with two - well worth the effort.

You need to install the second client in a completely separate folder, preferable in a different partition. You also need to take precautions if you need to shut down one client as you might lose the WU the other one is crunching.

Soldato
well looks like it's a no brainer.

2 x win smp client = approx 3k-3.5kpps dependant on WU's
1x win smp &1 gpu client = 6.3k ppd!!

Back
Top Bottom