why all the hate for hs2?

Soldato
watching this on sky news atm and there seems to be an out and out hate campaign towards this.

couple of things i'm confused about.

why do labour seem to be against it? were they not the ones that initially introduced hs2?

why all the hate towards a project that will bring a huge benefit to the country as a whole. I can understand opposition from someone who is going to find hs2 running through their back garden but it seems that more than just people on the route that are against it.

i see it as a major infrastructure building project that is going to get the country moving create tens of thousands of jobs and from the figures i've read be a boost to the economy overall (well long term anyway)

Soldato
OP
Still on the fence but I would put money on this project been grossly over time and budget.

therein lies the problem with any major public project. but not all of these things descend into farce. for example transport scotland have a great record of delivering large scale projects on time and budget. m73/4 m8 extension early and on budget. m80 works again on time and on budget and the new forth crossing currently estimated to come in on time and up to £250-300 million under initial budgets

would be nice to see them drop the same cash into the motorway network but hey we can only dream

question though, is this just a passegner line or will it carry freight too?

never understood why the likes of tesco and asda dont use the railways more than they do. some of the larger supermarkets can receive anything upwards of 20-30 artics in a day. i'd imagine they could stick a siding and loading dock next to stores with a railway line in close proximity and well i'm going off on a tangent. so i'll leave it t does hs2 intend to carry frieght also

Last edited:

Soldato
OP
From what I understand it's not being kept in the loop that has ***** all the residents off. Well that's what they say but we all know they are just worried about there house prices.

i'd imagine that anywhere within a decent radius of a station on the new line will see a fair rise as people look at new places to commute into the capital from

Soldato
OP
any status updates on HS2? not seen or heard anything for a while

theres certainly the demand for rail infrastructure on a more local level though, The new borders line from Edinburgh to Tweedbank is by all accounts doing great business, to the extent they are having to provide extra capacity.

Soldato
OP
on the subject of home working, We run a small taxi company,

now at peak times we have 2 people on each shift x3 a day x 7 days, there is absolutely no need for them to be in the office as remote working works great for us other than the odd training day or wanting to catch up.

do the maths out on this one, thats 4 journeys a shift 12 journeys a day or near four and half thousand journeys (all of them by car i may add) saved a year at say an average journey of 8 miles. average co2 output is 125g/km so do the math homeworking for our office saves 7 ton of co2 emissions per year
now scale that up for say 50-75% of the staff at a large call centre who employ 3-4000 people on site and you can see a clear environmental impact as well,
now imagine all those tens of thousands of people not commuting into an office each day suddenly the current railways are half empty with plenty of spare capacity. the majority of the Uks workforce do not physically need to be at work to do their job with the right tools they can work remotely. obviously doesnt wash for manufacturing or logistics etc but how many office workers travel in and out of london each day and dont really need to?

Soldato
OP
Add in the fact staff working from home take less time off sick have a far better work life balance from not spending hours every week commuting and being able to deal with the little things like deliveries that they would otherwise be taking time off to receive it’s a huge benefit for everyone

happy staff are more loyal and more productive

Soldato
OP
spot on.

Its the future in all honesty.

Many just need a laptop and internet access to do there day job

Indeed sitting alone the couch wrapped in a blanket Ill atm working away if I had to go into an office it would have been not a chance and a sicky as it is I’m still functioning at 90% efficiency rather either 0 because I’d be off or infecting the rest of the staff

Soldato
OP
hold on The boring company are quoting a price of $10 million per mile HS2 is what 140 miles?

4 lines (2 each way i presume is what HS2 will have) is $40 million per mile, i make that $5.6 billion for the full 140 mile run or at curent exchange rates £4.3 billion give or take

what the juddering &&^£ are the uk government playing at?

phone Elon, cut him a cheque for £10 billion and promise him another £10 billion if he can complete it in 3 years

Soldato
OP
My original post hasn’t exactly aged well in 10 years

Hs2 does indeed seem to be an absolute farce over time over budget and looking like a gross waste of money these days.

How could something that promised so much deliver to little for such an exorbitant price

Soldato
OP
absolute keek show now

realistically how can you go so far over budget and still have so many cuts to a project without it being poorly managed?

what is it with this country that we just accept this from private companies and when they do fail we bail them out again and again

it should be a case of money in escrow, company delivers as promised- paid in full. company doesnt deliver they get nothing. they deliver late, they get a reduced payment

Back
Top Bottom