why all the hate for hs2?

Soldato
People will literally just whinge about anything based on the way the wind blows..

I'll bet a review of the 84 pages here would reveal some massive hypocrisy and political opportunism...

Personally I'll reserve froth until we find out where the saved money will go..

Yes this I think is a massive and burning question which must be addressed- where is the saved money going?

What’s the betting that it only goes from Old Oak to Birmingham now. Jokes.

Soldato
Yes this I think is a massive and burning question which must be addressed- where is the saved money going?

What’s the betting that it only goes from Old Oak to Birmingham now. Jokes.

There will be no money saved, just money not borrowed.

To be fair, interest payments will not be spent.

Last edited:
Associate
The time for debate was when it was in proposals not afterwards. They should have just built it and not disclosed how much it was going to cost. Infrastructure costs are always insane, especially on a small island where land values are ever-increasing. That being so, of course, there were corporate profiteering and legal arguments. These are cultural issues we need to address in the long term so they don't hold up large-scale projects. Can we actually build anything (other than in London) these days?

Soldato
Haven't seen press mention what cancellation penalty clause costs will be for civil engineering companies, or how well constrained costs really are for current sections.

Any surplus monies, per todays comment on gilts market, will just pay the increased interest on countries borrowing.

Soldato
But what if 'finishing it' involves an ever increasing cost? Where do you draw the line?
surely that was an argument to be made 10+ years ago.

i wonder.... will all these people who received huge sums of money to offset the devaluation of their properties (I am not talking about the people who sold, but i believe a number took huge payoffs but also got to stay living in their properties)....... well presumably their properties are not going to take the financial penalty now so surely they should be paying back the lions share of their payoff?.

of course that wont happen.

Commissario
So with the scrapping of HS2 they're going to build 40 new hospitals upgrade and repair every road in the country.:rolleyes: going by then nonsense spewing from the liars gob.

"some accountability for the mistakes made and the mismanagement of this project" not said "but don't expect any of us to actually be held to account, ever despite us being in charge".

Last edited:
Soldato
The only way Sunak can salvage anything from dropping hs2 is to focus on hs3.
would you trust ANYTHING he says about "future" investment now? fool me once and all that.

what is happening with the 5 pledges he made at the start and the judging him on those results...... or what about the 40 brand new hospitals his party promised?

i am not in the north any more so there will be plenty better positioned than I to comment but how many people are seeing any fruits of the levelling up of the North we were promised?

Caporegime
We promised you HS2, Northern Powerhouse and Levelling Up - we didn't deliver but believe us about these new set of promises. Righto.

We don't deserve nice things. Our politics is broken. Our media are corrupt and treat us with contempt. And a worrying amount of people lap up bile, lies and nonsense.

Division and fear are so effective :(.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We promised you HS2, Northern Powerhouse and Levelling Up - we didn't deliver but believe us about these new set of promises. Righto.

We don't deserve nice things. Our politics is broken. Our media are corrupt and treat us with contempt. And a worrying amount of people lap up bile, lies and nonsense.

Division and fear are so effective :(.
One of the hilarious things to come out of this is that Sunak's new slogan is "long-term thinking", and he's literally embracing short-term populism to win an election expected next May.

And nobody bats an eyelid, or expects anything better, given the current broken state of the UK's politics. The whole thing is rancid and FPTP must go.

Caporegime
I must say I'm impressed with Sunak's timelines. Yesterday - no decision was made. Today - it was with all of these magical proposals for alternatives. All that in 24 hours. Bravo.

Soldato
So reading between the lines seems that NPR has effectively been cancelled too - £12bn apparently reserved for Manchester to Liverpool links, bit it won't be a high speed line. Then mentions electrification elsewhere in the North and calls it 'Network North'? Implied that Network North is an upgrade and electrification of existing lines from Manchester to Hull and down to Sheffield.

Not sure if it's a downgrade of this 'Network North' idea or just a completely different project with the same name: https://news.railbusinessdaily.com/...integrated-rail-network-for-northern-england/

Either way it's all pretty irrelevant because I doubt they're actually planning to deliver much of it anyway.

There there's all the other promises about stuff that should have been happening anyway like resurfacing roads and building a Leeds tram (which seems to be proposed and then cancelled / denied funding every few years at least).

And reannouncing some other projects which were already supposed to be happening anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom