Why are almost all ATX motherboards 4 DIMM when running 2 ram sticks optimal and all most people need

Soldato
2 DIMM boards have better memory stability and would probably be a cost saving for manufacturers so why are all ATX boards 4 DIMM when most users will only ever use 2?.

do you think that will take over?
I like the idea
Camm2 in certainly an interesting tech and it may well take off so long as the memory and boards are not hugely expensive but of the benefits from camm2 like the higher clocks and better stability would work on 2 dimm traditional boards.

How many people building a new Intel or AM5 systems today are likely to fill all 4 dimm slots over the lifetime of the board, 32gb is fine for gaming and you can even go 64gb if you want some overhead or play heavily modded games. Even if you say went with 32gb now then decided you wanted 64gb in the future the vast majority would just swap out all the ram for a 2 dimm kit as 4 dimms just don’t offer the speed / timings and stability.

DDR5 will get less crap eventually, so it will be interesting to see how AMD's second generation do with 4 sticks.

I don't like 2 dimm ddr4 boards because it is less easy to make use of spare sticks from other builds and you're more limited with the config.
I agree it’s not for everyone but so far as it stands I can only see 1 AM5 ATX board with 2 dimm slots and that is the gigabyte B650E Aorus tachyon which is a high end OC board that is not even available in this region.

It always used to be cheaper to by 4 smaller sticks, than 2 larger ones, especially if you were looking at the max sized dimms. 4x8gb was much cheaper than the same 2x16gb. I was always glad to be able to double my ram on the cheap from the 2nd hand market when the prices dropped - hoping nothing changes any time soon - although I wouldn't complain if the server style 4 slots on each side of the CPU became mainstream... :D
As ram speeds have increased especially now with the higher quality signaling required for DDR5 and going forward with DDR6 it’s becoming increasing difficult to run the same speeds on 4 sticks as it is with 2 which is why most people now opt for a 2 dimm set up when going for a new build.

Back
Top Bottom