• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPUs so expensive?

Soldato
Because they're made of raw materials obtained from earth, engineered by hundreds of the smartest people on earth before being crafted at the limits of human engineering.

Yeh, totally should be the same cost as a toaster.

Caporegime
They can't survive on cards which are expensive, but sell less though. GPU sales have been falling all year apparently. They need to maintain market share otherwise it's a downward slope in to obscurity, which only gets worse with each generation.

Nvidia has a problem now. Where do they go from here?

Except Nvidia is growing market share and profits

Associate
If Intels GPU card is anything like their CPU pricing then i would expect some odd price brackets if they do a selection of cards.

Soldato
Shift of strategy. I did try to warn people on here the prices wouldnt revert, as people decided to wait thinking the prices were temporary. I jumped on the 1080ti when its price dropped for good reason.

Old strategy was to go for volume (except on titans).
New strategy is the titan model, go for max profit per unit.

Soldato
It's becoming a rich man's hobby really.

I bought a 1080ti for £620 with a free game in 2017, which is a lot, but nowhere near the twice that you'd pay for a 2080ti now.
Not only that but it could pay itself off a bit with mining when I bought it, which isn't really viable any more.

the 1080ti has since been RMA'd and replaced by a 2080. When it comes time to upgrade in the future, I'll probably stay a gen behind and buy used.

Soldato
When it comes time to upgrade in the future, I'll probably stay a gen behind and buy used.

This is actually a great option these days, with such slow progress in GPU space, in terms of FPS and resolution increase, do we really need to buy the latest most expensive card ? Some great deals on used cards around. Some places warranty them too.

Caporegime
This is actually a great option these days, with such slow progress in GPU space, in terms of FPS and resolution increase, do we really need to buy the latest most expensive card ? Some great deals on used cards around. Some places warranty them too.

No there isn't when people are asking £420 for a used 1080ti with next to no warranty or a year at best. And £430 gets you a brand new 2070 super after you sell cod.

Buying second hand is a mugs game now for pc parts. Basically only worth it on the really low end stuff.

I can get one of the fastest ssds 1tb for £90-£120.

One of the fastest gaming cpu for less than. £200.

A 2070 super for £430.

Latest motherboards for £100+

One if the best sets of 16gb ram for £70-£80.

I wouldn't touch any pc component second hand unless you were really tight on budget. Brand new prices are fractionally more.

The only thing that is decent is the drop in price on monitors second hand. Everything else is like 10% less than brand new but it's been used for 2-3 years. I'd rather just pay 10% more for new.

Last edited:
Soldato
No there isn't when people are asking £420 for a used 1080ti with next to no warranty or a year at best. And £430 gets you a brand new 2070 super after you sell cod.

Buying second hand is a mugs game now for pc parts. Basically only worth it on the really low end stuff.

I can get one of the fastest ssds 1tb for £90-£120.

One of the fastest gaming cpu for less than. £200.

A 2070 super for £430.

Latest motherboards for £100+

One if the best sets of 16gb ram for £70-£80.

I wouldn't touch any pc component second hand unless you were really tight on budget. Brand new prices are fractionally more.

The only thing that is decent is the drop in price on monitors second hand. Everything else is like 10% less than brand new but it's been used for 2-3 years. I'd rather just pay 10% more for new.

Cool, that's your opinion. I've found a ton of decent used GPU's for great prices. Easily much better value than current new cards. Each to their own xD

Caporegime
Cool, that's your opinion. I've found a ton of decent used GPU's for great prices. Easily much better value than current new cards. Each to their own xD

Well I'm going off what people are asking for and what they sold for on the members market. It's not an opinion it's a fact. Second hand GPU's are overpriced thanks to demand too.

I just sold my GTX 1080 second hand for £290 on ebay and one sold the week before I listed mine for £325.

The above are facts. You might get the odd one here and there that is cheap but not for the majority of second hand buyers. I'm pretty sure I paid £390 for the GTX 1080 2 years earlier second hand. But as demand has increased and will only increase to do so with these prices. You are much better off buying brand new. I have went from second hand to new since value for money is better new.

Permabanned
Because people will pay it. It's sad but very much a fact now.

It's the same with phones as well. Apple released the X at the £1000 price point as a limited edition,money is no object handset and not only did young professionals (which the phone was aimed at) buy it, everybody else did as well so now they keep making them at £1000 plus and people keep paying it.

Soldato
Because they're made of raw materials obtained from earth, engineered by hundreds of the smartest people on earth before being crafted at the limits of human engineering.

Yeh, totally should be the same cost as a toaster.

Wasn't this always the case though?

Facts are, high end GPU prices are presently insane!

Permabanned
Pricing-too-High.png

AMD Announces the Radeon RX 5500 XT Graphics Card in the Retail Channel

Soldato
I'm just looking forward to reduced prices of gpus. Console gaming will never be for me. The next gen xbox gpu will be more comparable to a 2080 and not a 2080 ti, even your graph shows that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is a shame because the best games are on consoles, unless you're into your MMOs or RTS games.
I have little interest in scripted and shallow 10 hour AAA experiences like the last of us, uncharted and no the best games are not on consoles. A few of my favourite franchises are total war, DCS, diablo and path of exile, some fps like battlefield, ARMA and driving simulators like assetto corsa and flight simulator. I also like my VR, proper hotas, steering wheels and being involved in proper gaming communities which dont exist on consoles. Lately I've also discovered you can use the steam controller which is an engineering marvel against console owners in modern warfare. Its like shooting fish in a barrel with a well tuned steam controller from the comfort of your couch at 1440p 120hz 65" qled tv. Console gaming is overally just so subpar in every regard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom