• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPUs so expensive?

Soldato
I'm just looking forward to reduced prices of gpus. Console gaming will never be for me.

Feel the same way. My only real challenge is holding out on upgrading for CP2077, but I reckon 1800p w/ Vega 64 will be good enough, it's gonna get post-processed to hell anyway. By then we'll get some proper GPUs at back-to-earth prices. Either that or AMD/NV abdicate half their GPU volume.

Associate
Feel the same way. My only real challenge is holding out on upgrading for CP2077, but I reckon 1800p w/ Vega 64 will be good enough, it's gonna get post-processed to hell anyway. By then we'll get some proper GPUs at back-to-earth prices. Either that or AMD/NV abdicate half their GPU volume.
I wish I had your enthusiasm and faith that prices will drop - I'm sitting here with a GTX1080 (need to change my sig) and trying to hold out till the next cards come out and really hope we see a big price drop on GFX card prices - More so given the next-gen consoles of ps5 & Series X seemingly will require a 2080 or super for PC to remain worthwhile for games, at least for me anyway. PC will always be relevant as I edit a lot in PS and LightRoom for work - But I want to keep it all in one bag if possible. Is this is a pivotal moment for PC gaming right now?

Soldato
If you think GPUs are too expensive then do something about it. Be pro active. Protest with your wallet. Simple.

If I'm unhappy about something I do something about it.
Same I've had my 1080ti for nearly 3 years now and no plan to upgrade until first half of 2021, unless prices drop dramatically. Unfortunately, you can't rely on other people being sensible so many of us hope next gen consoles will significantly affect the demand for gpus forcing both nvidia and amd to lower their prices.

I wish I had your enthusiasm and faith that prices will drop - I'm sitting here with a GTX1080 (need to change my sig) and trying to hold out till the next cards come out and really hope we see a big price drop on GFX card prices - More so given the next-gen consoles of ps5 & Series X seemingly will require a 2080 or super for PC to remain worthwhile for games, at least for me anyway. PC will always be relevant as I edit a lot in PS and LightRoom for work - But I want to keep it all in one bag if possible. Is this is a pivotal moment for PC gaming right now?
The release of next gen consoles is always a pivotal moment. This console generation pc gaming has enjoyed a huge surge in popularity and combine that with mining it brought us to this mess in terms of prices. I cant see the growth of pc gaming slowing down especially since next gen consoles are just PC components with different OS. They offer nothing extra or different and lack all of pc gaming's advantages.

Its hilarious how in the space of 10 years we went from "Is PC gaming dying?" to "We hope consoles become more relevant so they drop the prices of pc components".

Last edited:
Associate
Same I've had my 1080ti for nearly 3 years now and no plan to upgrade until first half of 2021, unless prices drop dramatically. Unfortunately, you can't rely on other people being sensible so many of us hope next gen consoles will significantly affect the demand for gpus forcing both nvidia and amd to lower their prices.
I personally feel that I will wait till the next batch from Nvidia/AMD and upgrade to the RTX2080 super. Having a custom watercooled system adds to the cost though, so another £100 for the waterblock makes the decision harder. I can offset some of the costs from the sale of the 1080, but I doubt this will be significant by the time to buy comes around.

The release of next gen consoles is always a pivotal moment. This console generation pc gaming has enjoyed a huge surge in popularity and combine that with mining it brought us to this mess in terms of prices. I cant see the growth of pc gaming slowing down especially since next gen consoles are just PC components with different OS. They offer nothing extra or different and lack all of pc gaming's advantages.

Its hilarious how in the space of 10 years we went from "Is PC gaming dying?" to "We hope consoles become more relevant so they drop the prices of pc components".

I certainly hope so and I think with this next iteration of consoles the "master race" is being pulled back, so I think personally it is pc gaming that needs to stay relevant and it is up to the market and the GPU makers, Nvidia and AMD to keep it relevant.

Associate
I don't blame those wanting to drop the PC platform in favour of consoles. GPUs have been overpriced for years now and there is barely any value for those wanting to upgrade for sane amounts of money.

Soldato

Yeah, tbf, I'm not 100% convinced GPU prices will drop because they could always choose to just deal with lower volumes & keep prices high but I can't imagine Nvidia will actually do that given how addicted they are to pumping their stock up, which necessitates a lot more volume and not just increasing margins. They are not gonna survive solely off of HPC/mobile, desktop GPUs are like half their business. Overall I remain optimistic, though you never know how it will play out. Worst case I'll just switch to consoles for a year or two.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't blame those wanting to drop the PC platform in favour of consoles. GPUs have been overpriced for years now and there is barely any value for those wanting to upgrade for sane amounts of money.
He is back. Rumours were you was too busy playing on your Stadia to be posting here. How is that going by the way? Lol :p

Soldato
Xbox series X is 12 teraflops GPU. Phil Spencer says " two times what an Xbox One X is" in a Gamespot interview.

Doesn't sound very impressive when your say it's only double the performance of a system released in what'll be 3 years ago when it launches!

Soldato
I just did a search for both the 1080 ti and the 2080(non super) price at launch.

The performance on these cards is basically the same and the price was...the same.

That is NOT a generational upgrade.

Soldato
I just did a search for both the 1080 ti and the 2080(non super) price at launch.

The performance on these cards is basically the same and the price was...the same.

That is NOT a generational upgrade.

Yes, all they've done is added 2 new teirs above the 1080 Ti. Essentially a GTX 1090 and a 1090 Ti. The higher prices reflects that.

Associate
The thing is, if they did produce such cards without RTX hardware, could it have been way faster?

Nvidia could have done many things they choose to go marginal perf lift (cos of their dominant position) and add on the RTX stuff in order to sell. They could make a 5k cuda core GPU for £500 if they wanted to but then they wouldn't rake in a 75% markup/profit.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia could have done many things they choose to go marginal perf lift (cos of their dominant position) and add on the RTX stuff in order to sell. They could make a 5k cuda core GPU for £500 if they wanted to but then they wouldn't rake in a 75% markup/profit.
D.P. will magically appear soon to tell you their markup is only around 20% and try and confuse you with some graphs. Don’t believe him, the markups on RTX cards are sky high for sure ;)

I do think they will price their cards more competitively for the 3000 series as they will have more competition from consoles and RDNA2 cards. With huge markups it is easy for them to lower prices, they would make up some if not most the lost profits by selling bigger volumes anyways. Just imagine a 3080 Ti at £799 or even £899, people would throw their wallets at Nvidia.

Soldato
D.P. will magically appear soon to tell you their markup is only around 20% and try and confuse you with some graphs. Don’t believe him, the markups on RTX cards are sky high for sure ;)

I do think they will price their cards more competitively for the 3000 series as they will have more competition from consoles and RDNA2 cards. With huge markups it is easy for them to lower prices, they would make up some if not most the lost profits by selling bigger volumes anyways. Just imagine a 3080 Ti at £799 or even £899, people would throw their wallets at Nvidia.

*Looks in a mirror* D.P. - D.P. - D.P.

Back
Top Bottom