Why are tradesmen so elusive?

Soldato
Anyone else find this a nightmare?

I've been trying for weeks to get roofers and builders to quote me for some work that I want done but only one out of 7 has actually turned up to take a look for a quote despite the others promising to turn up. Still not heard back from him, either.

Do they just not want the work or something? These people are all rated highly on Checkatrade/Trust a Trader which makes it a bit annoying. :(

Unfortunately the few guys I do know are busy on big jobs so can't use them so I'm now pestering friends on the off-chance they know someone. it's frustrating to say the least...

Commissario
This may sound stupid, but it might be worth contacting your local council, ours has a list of tradesmen they've used grant work etc.
It's not a recommended tradesperson list as they're very quick to point out, merely a list of people/companies that have done work for them and people receiving council grants without issues*.

The problem is that with how busy the council are and how understaffed the social services/grants departments are you may not get anywhere or find anyone who can help with a list.

*When my parents had to have some work done due to my mum's health the social worker/occupational therapist offered to give us a list to help us find a local tradesman who did the right sort of work.

Commissario
Had similar experience last year when trying to get people round to quote for re-doing the bathroom. Out of about 12 who we contacted, only 4 or 5 replied, of which 3 came round to measure up, and only 2 provided a quote!

Soldato
I imagine a tradesman might write a similar thread called "Why are customers so stupid" in which he / she explains how customers think that they have endless teams of people sitting around all day just waiting to do work for them tomorrow.

The reality is that many of these small businesses are very poorly managed, and providing they have a work list that extends a few weeks or months ahead then they just keep on doing what they're doing.

Soldato
You can't get any tradesmen in the Lincoln area for love nor money

Plumbers, builders, plasterers, carpet fitters......every ones flat out busy

The ONE company I did manage to come out to quote wanted £750 to lay 8 patio slabs LOL (and that was labour only, I had to supply materials)

Last time I had a plumber round wanted £100 to swap a kitchen tap

Associate
Having the same problem getting a roofer to do a small job on the roof. Contacted with 15 individuals/companies, spoken to 8, email contact with 2, 4 have given dates/times they will turn up and didn't, and 1 turned up who just left without doing any work. One company I spoke to laughed down the phone saying it just wasn't worth their time to put guys in a van to do the job and it would cost more to create the invoice than what the job is worth. Another said they didn't want work unless it would be a day's work or the job would be more than £500. These were companies on trustatrader, checkatrade and trustmark.

Going to hire a ladder and do it myself next week as it's never going to get done otherwise.

Soldato
OP
I imagine a tradesman might write a similar thread called "Why are customers so stupid" in which he / she explains how customers think that they have endless teams of people sitting around all day just waiting to do work for them tomorrow.

I can understand if they are busy - they should make it clear and not say "OK I'll pop by at 6:30pm tonight" then fail to turn up. It's baffling. I'm after quotes to start within a reasonable timeframe to suit the contractor, not necessarily "do it now". :)

Ah well, seems I'm not alone then!

Associate
To echo some of the previous comments, I think a lot of them are poorly managed and only plan for a few weeks/months in advance. My partners Dad has his own plastering company, her uncle has a tiling company, her stepdad a Plumber and her Sister's partner is an Electrician, pretty much got everything covered :) They all have to turn away work though so there is definitely a shortage around Southampton. I think they pick and choose their work and look for easy money.

Soldato
they are probably busy and got other jobs which pay them more money.

be thankful that they don't come over, take like 6 months over your job and then leave you with a sour taste in your mouth.

Soldato
I've always found tradesmen to be pretty good when it comes to quoting, they've always wanted the work whether they could physically do it or not with other jobs on the go and have always tried to juggle work to fit us in. Of course its all personal experience though.

Permabanned
The shortage of skilled trades people is mainly due to so many school leavers entering university on useless courses, under the illusion of immediately getting a high paid job when they leave. The reality seems quite different, with courses like gender studies, it's hardly surprising. If learning a trade as an apprentice was not looked down on so much you would have a plentiful skilled British workforce and so many ex students wouldn't be on the internet, claiming cerebral superiority over their elders, but without work, too precious to get their hands dirty.

The shortage of skilled trades people is mainly due to so many school leavers entering university on useless courses, under the illusion of immediately getting a high paid job when they leave. The reality seems quite different, with courses like gender studies, it's hardly surprising. If learning a trade as an apprentice was not looked down on so much you would have a plentiful skilled British workforce and so many ex students wouldn't be on the internet, claiming cerebral superiority over their elders, but without work, too precious to get their hands dirty.

Blimely you must be really struggling under the weight of that chip on your shoulder.

Anyway back in the real world outside the fictional arms.

I think that check a trade etc are actually helping create the problem. I mean we all look at those sorts of site and go oh look here we go, gas fitter, 20 years experience, thats the guy I want to service my boiler

The problem is, and we face this at work regularly, is that a lot know you will want more than one quote. Most people recommend 3, so that means if as a trade you quote for 3 jobs you will on average get 1. Unless they are in the area already, they will need to travel, check job, price materials, prepare and send quote. If you have a half decent order book you can see why they don't bother a lot of the time. Time is money, giving quotes costs them time.

Man of Honour
To echo some of the previous comments, I think a lot of them are poorly managed and only plan for a few weeks/months in advance. My partners Dad has his own plastering company, her uncle has a tiling company, her stepdad a Plumber and her Sister's partner is an Electrician, pretty much got everything covered :) They all have to turn away work though so there is definitely a shortage around Southampton. I think they pick and choose their work and look for easy money.

That’s not an unreasonable attitude really, if you approach your work like that, and are still getting a good living, what’s wrong with it?
e.g., when I was driving a taxi, if someone asked me to “take them to Gatwick” next Thursday, (min of £95 from Tower Bridge), then later someone called me and said, “Jean, I have an appointment at Guy’s Hospital on Thursday, (about £7.00 from their house), have a guess who would be disappointed.

R F

R F

Associate
I didn't have any trouble getting quotes, that was easy. Getting someone I trusted, in a short space of time at a good price was another matter. It seems that if you want a good price with a person who seems trustworthy you'll have to wait. The guys who can come in quickly seemed to be the ones who subcontracted out and charged through the nose for it, and seemed like cowboys to boot.

Soldato
Nightmare in Warwickshire too.Even people recommended by friends either don't bother replying or arrange an appointment, you wait in all day and they don't bother turning up. Infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom