Why did my uncle have gallium vials?

Soldato
My uncle died a few years ago, pleasant chap liked by all. My aunt finally got round to clearing out the garage recently. She found 30g vials of gallium at the back of a drawer, there’s 20 in all.

Any thoughts to why he may have this? He was a retired solicitor. Just seems odd that he would have this kicking about.

Soldato
According to Wikipedia it has so many uses, it'll probably be impossible to know what he was up to.

Did he like practical jokes? You can turn it into spoons that melt away when placed in hot tea.

Soldato
OP
According to Wikipedia it has so many uses, it'll probably be impossible to know what he was up to.

Did he like practical jokes? You can turn it into spoons that melt away when placed in hot tea.

Nothing like that. Something doesn’t add up as it’s a very odd thing for him to have.

Caporegime
I have a soldering iron and solder somewhere in the house but I've not soldered in over 15 years...

May be he did solder, just not during your lifetime.

and I am not an electrician either.

Keeping that in the garage with the tools seems perfectly normal, it's not like you found a blood-stained knife with wrapped in a towel.

Soldato
OP
I have a soldering iron and solder somewhere in the house but I've not soldered in over 15 years...

May be he did solder, just not during your lifetime.

and I am not an electrician either.

Keeping that in the garage with the tools seems perfectly normal, it's not like you found a blood-stained knife with wrapped in a towel.

He never did much DIY, he was too busy at work. My aunt can’t seem to fathom why its there.

Back
Top Bottom