Why do laptop screens have slow response times?

Caporegime
So I was almost ready to buy the HP Omen gaming laptop with its 120Hz, Gsync, 1080p IPS panel. I'm probably now reading too much information about the damn thing but I was shocked to see the panel has a response time of about 35-45 ms. Whaaaaaaat?!

I didn't expect that, knocked me for six. I thought all LCDs these days had 1ms response. But it seems that's only for desktop models. So why are laptop screens so slow in comparison?

If I did go ahead with the purchase (for me it is the right price point vs features) will I get horrible streaking and blur when playing things like Doom?

Man of Honour
At a guess, anything fast on a laptop consumes battery life, costs more and generates heat. Compromises have to be made.

Soldato
We're about to release the ROG G703 which will feature a 144Hz 7ms (grey-to-grey) display.

More info can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-G703/

Your video about refresh rate is getting confused with pixel response times which is different to your refresh rate.

IE a 60hz monitor will appear just as clear so long as the pixel response time is not too bad.

You should be focusing on screen tear and fluid motion which refresh rates actually impact of refresh rate or list the panels by their pixel response time.

I would get your engineers to spend a bit more time with your marketing department like Nvidia learned was a good idea ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom