Why has the £50 note never been updated?

Caporegime
Bullseyes? couldn't live without them:p

2v3gaqo.jpg

I've never had a fake fifty so perhaps forgers don't really bother with them as everyone checks them when they get them:)

What are your addresses?!:eek:

So I can get the police round to arrest you for photographing money.;)

And no wonder £5 notes are like gold dust...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

People tend to inspect £50 notes for authenticity like their life depended on it in most shops, that's if they even choose to accept them at all.

It's like you've spat in their face, sometimes.

I understand it's a lot of money to lose if the note is dodgy, but it's almost like they make you feel like a thief before you've paid for the item.

Soldato
there are boundaries that define "legal tender" as far as paying for large sums in small denominations is concerned.

lemme look on the Royal mint webbie. i'm pretty sure its there.

Cheers. Seems strange that if you bought something for 22p payement could be refused if you supplied 11 x 2p pieces :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Cheers. Seems strange that if you bought something for 22p payement could be refused if you supplied 11 x 2p pieces :D

COINS:

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£5 (Crown) - for any amount
£2 - for any amount
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

Caporegime
Cheers. Seems strange that if you bought something for 22p payement could be refused if you supplied 11 x 2p pieces
anyone with any sense will welcome 1 , 2 , 5 , 10 and 20 pence peices in any amount thats not just ridiculous

Associate
50 pounds notes are a regular occurance where I were work (a bookies) think because of the large amount of dodgy money we take. You can always tell who will accept being paid out in 50's and who will only want 20's! drug dealers love em!

100 pounds notes pop up every now and again as well, never check 50's or 100's either as have never encountered forged ones.

Soldato
I once paid for a pack of gum, costing £0.45 in 1 and 2 pennies. The shopkeeper was more than happy to take my change as they are always down on change and high in notes.

Soldato
I've never had a £50 in my life! It seems odd there are not more in circulation though. When i was on holiday recently i saw a French bloke pay for a meal and was using 500 euro notes!

Soldato
Man of Honour
I dont understand this - if the notes are not legal tender then how can they be spent?

Legal tender has a very specific legal definition. It's does not mean a method of payment, as this can be anything as long as it is agreed during an invitation to treat. Credit/debit cards and cheques are NOT legal tender.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Legal tender only comes into things when there is a DEBT. A creditor can not refuse to accept legal tender as payment for a debt.

from the post above :

£5 (Crown) - for any amount
£2 - for any amount
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

Back