Why in 2019, do we still have this....

Caporegime
IMAG2282.jpg

Why haven't manufacturers managed to stop this **** from happening yet with LED TV's?

I wanted to treat myself to a new bigger TV but have been through 3 sets now (2 different manufacturers) that all have the same/similar issues.

I got lucky ages ago with a 6 year old panasonic from a tesco sale which wasn't bad at all in this regard, but i was hoping by now manufacturers would have been able to stop this from happening....but no.

Do lots of people just not notice it or does it not bother them? I cant stand it.

I also don't understand how they can advertise with remarks about great blacks and colour accuracy etc when you get this rubbish.

I know you will all say get an oled but then ive read loads about the issues they have with uniformity and screen burn in/heat making discoloured spots etc.

Basically, are TV's just a big pile of excrement whatever amount of money you pay and should i give up buying a new one? :p

Caporegime
OP
I've never understood why people sit in the pitch dark taking pictures of completely black screens.

Is that your usual use-case?

What does it look like when you're actually watching something?

If it bothers you that much buy an OLED.

Well that is just to take the picture obviously. it is still obvious even in low light.

Also i imagine most people watch films with the light off / in very low light.

Caporegime
OP
Everything is flawed. Best you can do is choose which ones you can deal with.

True. I'm just not getting lucky i guess.

I just find it amazing that no one has been able to amend the manufacturing process so that this doesn't happen. I am no engineer, but i find it hard to believe that it can be this hard to just cast a uniform light behind a screen. I imagine, that this sort of thing must account for a very high percentage of returns.

Caporegime
OP
Make and model of TV would help.

I take it you haven't bothered researching FALD?

It is a UE55NU7400.

I have researched FALD but even those have issues with blooming etc.

To be honest, i may just splash the cash on an OLED as it seems that even with expensive/top of the range LED's you can still get issues. I have watched videos of full array local dimming on some sets and even that is noticable and looks irritating.

I just find it incredible that manufacturers have made zero attempt to recitify this yet. I have had LED panels that have been brilliant (ie no bleed and great uniformity) in the past but they are few and far between and you have to go through many screens before you get a good one. However, if it is possible to have one with a uniform backlight, why do they not take the time to manufacturer them so they are all like it? I just think the variation from screen to screen is really crazy.

Like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq_lhHirPs

What is wrong with TV designers/engineers? Why would you ever want anything that does something like that ( in the above video). It just looks awful.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
My 10 year old Sony TV's black/contrast correction function is great for this (and only this) on low it dims a lot when there's next to nothing on the screen, so I don't really notice any bleed. One of the only of the generally useless/terrible "Advanced" options i have enabled.

This latest TV does this too. However if there is something bright/white on a predominantly black screen, you get those horrible splotches. You can even notice them on the borders around films too. It can do complete black really well as the whole thing dims. It is when something else is on screen with the black where the issue arises.

Caporegime
OP
The answer is obvious - buy an OLED and not a cheap edge lit LED

Honestly, you are buying a fairly low end large TV. They all have this. At best with local dimming, correct settings and a good model it's minimal.

However in real world viewing you barely notice it, if at all.

Unless you are an AV obsessive looking for it, in which case you will find it.

It's not a fault with the TV it is a feature and limitation of their design and construction.

I would say that it can often improve once the TV has been on for a few weeks.

Agreed. It is clear all edge lit tv's are hot garbage. Local dimming is just the worst designed technology i can think of. I don't want bits of my screen lighting up and dimming down based on the fact there might be some extra bright bit somewhere on a black background. It never seems precise enough to have the desired affect.

OLED it is i think. Seems like it will be worth the money.

Caporegime
OP
What i don't understand, is why is it SO difficult to get a uniform and even light over the screen, even with an edge lit panel?

Caporegime
OP
It's a cheap TV cuts are made to technology, filter, electronics and panel as well as build quality in order to get such a large TV for so cheap.

People on here dont have a clue at the cost of making TVs. Remember the retailer had to make a profit. It had to be transported from Asia and they had to make a profit. It had to be packaged and have accessories included like remote, etc. The manufacturer needs to make a profit

All for peanuts.

So in reality the cost of that tv is such that it would be impossible for it to not have bleed.

But the same problem is apparent even on £2k sets...?

Back
Top Bottom