Why is it not compulsory to wear full leather protection while riding?

Commissario
I don't ride a motorcycle or have a bike license but one thing has always baffled me. It's compulsory to wear a helmet quite rightly, but not to wear proper clothing? i.e Full leather bikers jacket, trousers and boots.

With the sun out you see people riding around wearing shorts and t-shirt and I shudder with horror at what would happen to them (God forbid) if they came off.

Surely it should be compulsory to wear full body protection? Or would you disagree?

Commissario
OP
it helps with controlling the bike more easily/moving around on the bike and looking left/right/behind ect

thick stiff leathers make it harder imo,would be even more daunting having just passed your test/riding a bike

Make sense.

Its an interesting one as obviously in some situations they won't help at all but in others I know first hand of a couple examples where people walked away relatively unscathed from accidents where had they not had proper back armour, etc. they would have certainly suffered life changing injuries at the very least.

Indeed.

Maybe depending on the CC of the bike it could be made compulsory.

Commissario
OP
yes you do but leathers are cut for riding. so unless you expect people to ride to the shops or town then lurch around looking like freaking orangutans in their onsies while they're off the bike its not really practical.

Does it not bother you that if you came off your bike you could possibly be peeled from head to toe like an orange?

Or are you happy to take the risk?

Back
Top Bottom