Why Vista Sucks...

Permabanned
Why would you ever want to upgrade to Vista from XP.

Whats the point in having to add more memory, purely for the OS. For games, certainly, for applications, of course, but for the OS... As for AERO and GLASS. Whup-de-doo. Well worth wasting 512 Megabytes on.

What EXACTLY does it offer in the way of upgrades over XP? (apart from the appaling attempt to look like a Mac that AERO/GLASS is). Is there increased usability?? Certainly not. An example.

Networking. How many people on this board have two computers. How many are linked up on a home LAN. Lots.

Windows vista. Network Map, Network Center, Network List, Network... Blah, blah. Lots of different windows, doing the same thing...

CONTROL PANEL - NETWORK CENTRE

> Personalise
> Change to Public

If you chose Personalise, you (whooo) are able to change the title. Although it says network, you are only changing the title. You are not chaning the domain or the workgroup. Following this, is the same option as on the previous window. >Change to Public. You also have the option of bring up the properties of the LAN connection. You know, the area where you can change the IP setting, etc.

Who designed this? What is the point of the network centre? NONE!! All it does is confuse people. It serve's NO purpose. And why cant I change the workgroup from and of the NETWORK pages? Why on earth do I have to go to the SYSTEM...

MS has got so big, it hasnt got a clue anymore about usability. None. It would make so much more sense to have ONE page that will enable users to setup a home network/broadband. With ADVANCED tabs to change certain settings (DHCP, etc).

I have spent nearly 1 full hour, chasing my tail around the network tabs, and they make NO logical sense to me. Vista kept telling me I was on a Business Domain, and I kept saying "No, im a home user, with a local LAN". It kept telling me to Reset. It kept changing my WORKGROUP back to WORKGROUP. I changed it to my own setting, RESET. Why?? Why RESET... How many years since XP... And still I have to RESET because I have changed WORKGROUPS??? Its like the days when you had to reset because you changed resolution. I managed to get my workgroup up and running.
But in the process found that MS removing the My Network Place, etc, they havent made networking ANY easier. Just the hoops are now in different places. Some Hoops are not even needed AT ALL.

Windows firewall... Great... Now all the parents can rest easy, knowing its 'firewalled'. Yeah but, its MS firewall. On every machine. At least previously virus writers, and spyware had to combat different flavours of firewalls. Not any more. You think a firewall on every machine is going to be safer. Not if its the same firewall with every machine.

Parental Control. Why not rifle through your kids draws and read their diary, and install secret cameras in their rooms, and record all the telephone conversations they have, and employ a spook to watch and film every move they make. This isnt about parenting. Simple solution. If you dont trust your kid. Tell them you dont. Put the computer in the living room. Buy a console, buy them games for their own age. Be a bloody parent.. Dont let MS be the daddy.

Improved security. What!!! So I get asked my permission to change network settings, change time settings, blah, blah. MS gave everyone ADMIN access way back. To change things know will break windows back. Its too late.
Far too much legacy...

Look;

1991 - Windows 3.1
1994 - WIndows 95
1998 - Windows 98
2001 - Windows XP
- Erm....

Each on of those upgrades was worth it. More functionality, better connectivity, improved interface (usability). Each upgrade taking between 3-4 years.

Its been 5 years. WinFS isnt being released - if ever. So what are we left with. I know boss, we have a new menu. We have moved em about a bit. Yeah, we have modded the interface with Windowblindz.. Erm, sorry, AERO.
Oh, added a sidebar.

Erm, on XP, im using vanilla themes. Thats right, Windows Default. I woudlnt install a sidebar to save my life. what NEED do I have for a massive clock, when the one in the bottom corner serves me well. Why do I want my pictures to be shown on a tiny slide show. Am I really that anal I need a CPU metre?

MS keeps putting the release date off, because after all those years, it hasnt got anything new. It hasnt fixed any of the design flaws of XP. It isnt any further intuitive than XP. (Worse, if anything)... And MS knows this. And, with the price of the Intel Macs coming down, and the ability to dual boot. Im considering getting one, keeping my XP, installing it on the Mac, and test driving a different OS all together..

Why not.

Permabanned
OP
I have been dual booting vista since its beta2 release.

I am dissapointed, that after such a long wait, it offers me so little. I have been a MS user since Windows 3.1

Im just gutted. The end of a long romance is here I think. I was looking forward to using SQL to query my OS. I wanted to be able to search through all me emails from Natalie containing my name. I wanted an improved interface that flowed logically.

Whilst most of the discussions are about how fast it runs, how good glass an aero is, what the minimum spec is, once you have used it, and really used it, you realise that its pants...

Permabanned
OP
I have another.

BCDEDIT... Used it yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/wi...c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af778.mspx#BKMK_bcdedit

Go figure...

Now, thats what I call progress from good old BOOT.INI

If you cant be bothered linking, here is a snippet.

"Examples
The following command sets three operating system entries in the boot manager display order:

Bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c84b751a-ff09-11d9-9e6e-0030482375e6} {c74b751a-ff09-11d9-9e6e-0030482375e4} {c34b751a-ff09-11d9-9e6e-0030482375e7}"

I re-installed windows XP. I lost vista. I did a repair with the Vista DVD. It got vista working, but I lost XP. There is no Boot.ini to link to multi(0)rdisk(0)disk(1)partition(1) "Windows XP".... Oh no... BCEDIT...

Permabanned
OP
I know. Good to get it off my chest... :D

I know its a beta.. :D

I know I dont have to buy it :D

But I can certainly tell you, as it stands, its garbage...

And to still be in BETA after 5, yes FIVE years, with not much to offer over XP, I wouldnt hold my breath. Unless MS pulls a rabbit out of a hat, I stand by my comments.

Permabanned
OP
Wow.

Seems like a lot of people are sooo defensive for MS. Why bother? They pays millions for lawyers to that job.

Yes, im very well aware its a beta. In fact, it even says BETA in the bottom left corner. I downloaded it from the MS BETA site. As I can read, I can say im aware its a beta.

That doesnt stop me commenting on the product. Thats what BETA's are for. Yes, I have fed back all my problems to MS, and on the MS BB's as well. So im not just moaning.

A lot of people keep saying that "it will be great when its released". All the problems will be "ironed out on final release". Yeah, right. Just like WinXP, and Win98, and Win95. How much do you want to bet it takes less than 6 months before Vista SP1 is released!!!

And to all those people who say DX10. And? Do you really, really think that companies will stop writing DX9 games the moment vista is released? Ok, some people 'love' new technology, and some people 'have' to have the latest OS. but thats not everyone, and im afraid the big gaming companies are only interesting in Market Share. They arent going to be able to write DX10 only games as what would they say to the share holders???

Anyway, the point I was making was if MS cant get the BETA2 right after 5-6 years of development, do you really think its going be better in 6-12 months time???? Really???

Back
Top Bottom