Why was the early 90's so successful for UK game production?

Soldato
Was thinking recently what a brilliant era the early 90s were for UK gaming (Edios, Rockstar, Revolution to name a few). I know most have since been merged into mega corporations overseas but there was a time where we were a leading force from relatively small teamed beginnings. Any idea on why we got it so right :) ? Presumably the tech was available for developing (and made) outside the UK and so not just an access thing.

Soldato
OP
One of the factors will be the accessibility of stuff like the BBC and Acorn series of computers.

I know there was 1-2 very brilliant people at places like Cambridge University who had an influence on some of the game developers of that era - for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bell_(programmer) who rarely gets talked about but actually was both directly and indirectly involved in the development of a lot of talent of that era.

I think you're right, I remember in my primary school late 80's there was a push for a BBC computer per classroom. Also thinking back, they seemed to be used more wisely then (perhaps because we were always supervised by a teacher), I definitely remember having to mentally focus to use them rather then a few years later at secondary school where we had computer rooms and it was just a free for all with everyone just playing mindless flash games :D
I didn't know the history of Elite , that was an interesting read - thanks.

Well UK companies did create some awesome games in the early 90ties that helped fuel my Amiga 500 gaming sessions :D
Who can forget Lemmings by DMA Design, Cannon Fodder/Sensible Soccer (Sensible Software), Alien Breed/Superfrog (Team17), Chaos Engine/Speedball (Bitmap Brothers), Syndicate/Theme Park (Bullfrog) or the Lotus series by Magnetic Fields :)

They really did :) I think it was a brilliant defining era and I loved all of those.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Agree, big fan of the tycoon games and I spent so many hours on them.
Just been reading up on Chris Sawyer too and his creations really were a passion of love, he still spends most of his free time visiting theme parks and riding coasters :D

Back
Top Bottom