** Widescreen TFT Monitors Due 2005/06 **

Man of Honour
It's hard to say, as this could be a large portion of marketing and figures on paper. My guess is that it will be the same P-MVA panel as the Belinea, but with some more aggressive overdrive. Not a bad thing at all, will be interesting to see, but a lot of the time, while figures might become lower, the actual performance in real use remains quite constant. Could be a good one though, certainly Viewsonic make some good TFT's and have a good design / build quality too

Soldato
I's also be interested to know your opinions on the Acer 24" Baddass as you seem to be the man in the know :) Also a speculative comparison with the Dell screen perhaps (no bias please - i know you have a dell :p )?

Man of Honour
i always try to remain impartial mate, that's why i haven't been round pimping my 2405FPW. It happens to be the screen most suited to my needs, but then i pretty much never game so i know it might not suit everyone. Regarding the 2405FPW vs Acer 2416W i think it will be a similar case to the discussion above about the 3ms Viewsonic VX2022W. While Samsung have rated the panel as faster than the one used in the 2405FPW, chances are it's only a slight tweaking of the overdrive control, and a high exageration of the spec on paper. Samsung list the panel used in the 2405FPW as 12ms, while Dell are much more conservative (and realistic) at 16ms. This is after their own testing, Dell are one of the few companies who do this really.

The Acer 2416W may be a litte faster on paper, and perhaps there may be a slight improvement in real responsiveness. However, Samsung have had issues in the past with overdrive application, and while they have lowered the response time on paper and in advanced testing, this doesn't really translate into any real performance improvement when it comes down to real use. The 193P+ is an example of this, being an 8ms rated panel, while not offering any real improvement in use to the 20ms rated 193P (same panel essentially).

There might hopefully be a little improvement, and let's hope it's not at the cost of DVD playback, as poorly controlled overdrive can lead to some nasty accentuation of noise in the movie playback (like on their Samsung 930BF for example). If there is actually any change, it may be a little more responsive (let's hope they manage this) and if all goes well with the control of the overdrive (again, let's hope) then this shouldnt have any draw backs. The design will obviously be different, and Acer haven't been known for making particularly high quality monitors in the past. Maybe some other manufacturers will adopt the same panel, and im sure they will (prob in the new Dell 2405FPW update i would imagine too). Anyway, all speculative for now, but that is my take on it

Associate
Gaijin said:
What are the speculated differences between the Dell 24” 2405WFP and the existing 2405FPW? All i could find so far was that it may support HDCP. Anything else - is it worth waiting for over the 2405FPW?

Cheers

I would really like to know this too. I have a 2005fpw, want to upgrade to a 24".

Man of Honour
t_aitch said:
I would really like to know this too. I have a 2005fpw, want to upgrade to a 24".

as i've speculated above, it's very liklely that it will just be *** updated Samsung PVA panel as appearing in the Acer 2416W as well. Rated at 6ms instead of 16ms, but perhaps not much real change in performance. Time will tell, but that would be my guess as to what the difference will be with the 2405FPW v2

Soldato
Baddass said:
i always try to remain impartial mate......

Cheers mate - was exactly what i was after. However on further research it looks like they wont be bringing the DVI-D model to these shores (Acer 24” AL2416Wd) only the poopy Dsub one (Acer 24” AL2416Ws)

Looks like it may be the 2405 now then :(

Man of Honour
a VGA only 24" model?!?! that's a little crazy imo. smaller screens yes, they can handle that kind of res without any issues on VGA, but not at the 24" res and size!!

You got round to writing a baddass review for it yet in the user reviews thread?

not done one actually, i did a more in depth review here which might help, but since im not a gamer, it tends to concentrate on other areas

For BenQ 20” FP202W, what's bad about its own panel?

Sorry I'm new to LCD's but the BenQ looks absolutely fantastic

Does it support HDTV?

The BenQ is good on paper, but they've opted to use a TN Film panel to keep the cost down. This is a new step really, as previously TN Film was limited to the 19" market (although they did the same when the 19" market grew). It may very well be fast, but viewing angles are poor and movie playback somewhat limited

Caporegime
Heh my dad has said he'll buy me a 20.1" widescreen LCD in the new year as a joint crimbo/birthday present, so i'll wait to see if that 3ms Viewsonic is any cop and then if it hopefully is, buy it. Do you think it will actually be any faster than the Belinea in games or will the 3ms just be more of a paper spec?

Permabanned
i am gonna wait for the Viewsonic. The 19" are top notch but I would like a nice "20 or "21 widescreen version. Can't wait!

Soldato
I didn't mean to sound rude, I was just asking nicely/ giving you some advice, as its likely to be seen as spam by the Dons. As for the 3007wfp being used as a tv without a pc, AFAIK the answer would be yes, although you would still have to get a separate tv tuner.

Man of Honour
please do try and avoid posting the same question in loads of threads, there's no need for it and it could easily be considered as spamming. There is an active thread about the Dell 3007WFP which has this question in, and i'm sure if people know the answer they will help in there :)

Back
Top Bottom