Wierd Hardware Issue - What should i replace?

Associate
I recently built a new system, and it ran ok for several months but now it has all changed.

My system in specs are the Lanparty NF4 Ultra D board, 3700+ Sanny, 7800GT, 2gb pack of geil.

I have been getting a bsod over the weekend more than once, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Never encountered this before so did a bit of research and found out it could be a ram issue.

Booted into memtest86 did one pass, got to test #8 loads and loads of errors. So i decided to up my ram V's up from the defaults to 2.8. This stopped the errors on test 8 of memtest and it passed ok, so i thought the issue was resolved and reformated.

Run ok for a day then started getting same bsod and my pc would take forever loading up windows and never seem to get in. After 10+ restarts it would boot into windows. Now knowing that memtest 86 is never 100% accurate i swapped my mem over for my old matched pair of crucial ballistix. But it still had same problems. I decided to remove one of the modules of ram and just run in single channel for a while. When i did this my pc went straight into windows and it seems ok now.

I will prime it like this overnight in single channel to see if its stable. If it is stable im guessing its a memory controller error or something. The memory controller is on the chip in x64 chips right? If so should i be replacing the CPU or the motherboard?

kbc

kbc

Associate
As usual, these BSOD can mean numerous things, often it's related to hardware. But before going for the drastic measure of hardware replacement, have you overclocked your system at all? Try running all your components at stock frequencies and voltages to verify stability.

I'd also try proceeding with BIOS updates. If this fails, it's either your RAM or the mainboard... though I remember getting these BSOD just like you, however the BSOD messages received were random, which were of no help at all.

Associate
OP
Yes seems to be happening when its cold. I get into a cycle of windows not starting up reboot a few times, then get into windows and it usually bsods and falls over again. It seems to only happen when iv'e not been using the PC for hours.

Back
Top Bottom