Wierd thing I noticed

Permabanned
Noticed a problem yesturday. I had driven my car for about 40 minutes to see someone. An hour later I go back to it, sitting there gleaming in the rain, windows clear etc. I open the door, get in, shut door, front windscreen immediately gets massive condensation that took me 10 mins of running the heater on full blast to get rid of. I notice this happens quite a lot - any ideas?

Permabanned
OP
I do use AC, my car has twin zone climate control and the AC is always on - it takes 10 mins, I also notice that when it is 10 degC outside and the AC is on 20degC it still blows cold air instead of warm. My other car was the opposite, only LO blew cold air, even if it was 20degC outside, 16degC on the a/c was hot air!

Permabanned
OP
Your climate control should have a button for 'max windscreen' or similar - this will blast warm air conditioned air onto the windscreen which will clear any inside condensation in about 5 seconds flat.

If this doesn't happen then either you're doing it wrong, your air conditioning isn't working, or it's below about 4 degrees outside which will cause the AC not to activate to avoid freezing up the condenser.

If it's raining outside it's quite easy to transfer this moisture into the car but the air con and climate control should keep the windows clear.

That is what I use.

Bottom left button -

http://www.vwcruise.com/resources/ss4.jpg

Supposed to take 5 seconds but takes 10 minutes.

Do i need it re-gassed perhaps? Is there any other indicators?

Permabanned
OP
Have you measured the ambient air temperature in the car?

Just because it is 10C outside and you set the A/C to 20C it doesn't mean the car is at 10C inside.

It could be say 24C so needs cold air to bring it down to the 20C you set.

Just a thought.

My GTR had so much heat coming through the exhaust/gearbox tunnel, enough to heat up cold drinks in the cup holder and keep hot ones hot!
Had to run the A/C even in the winter time to keep the ambient temperatures down.

I also would run with the air blowing on the windscreen rather than passenger vents to keep it from misting up.

Could be possible I guess. I know TFSI's have somewhere like 900DegC EGT's.

Permabanned
OP
No but I saw a thread on here and had planned to. I have had some funny smell in the car from time to time lately, smells a bit like anti freeze but not quite the same.

Permabanned
OP
OK the car's AC works perfectly and does not need re-gassing.

Have not checked pollen filter yet. All the floor in entirety is dry except for the boot - half a bottle of demon shine wheel cleaner leaked into the boot. Could it be that? Would probably explain the smell too?

Permabanned
OP
Well recirc is not switched on and I find it highly likely that a 6 year old car with just 30k miles would have siezed flaps?

Permabanned
OP
I was in a house for the hour I left the car there, it was not raining when I came out of the house, so my clothes or myself were not damp.

Back
Top Bottom