Wierd Ultra Slow Windows problem

Associate
Hey guys, i hope you can help me out here :)

Bascially i have a really wierd problem with windows which is that as soon as Windows starts (right from the flash screen) it is incredibly slow. What seems to happen is that something uses all resorces for about 15sconds and then it works normalish for about 10 seconds, then freezes for another 15 seconds then works for 10...etc.

when it isn't working, the HDD light is on, but the HDD doesn't sound like it is being accessed.

This just started happening one morning for no aparent reason.

I have just formatted my Windows drive and reinstalled windows, which all worked fine, so i thought it was cured, but then as soon as windows started for the first time it was back :(

I don't know if this is hardware or software problem. It is wierd that it works fine when installing windows and in the bios etc, but not in windows.

Also i am not able to access any of the drives without Explorer crashing.

Please help!!

Thanks,

Greg

Associate
OP
Three

160Gb Samsung P80 ATA
160Gb Samsung P80 SATA
250Gb Samsung P120 SATA

Although these are also partitioned. Windows is installed on the first partition of the 160Gb SATA.

Associate
OP
well i realised windows is installed on the 250gb SATA but that doesn't change anything.

Unfortunatly, due to the way Windows installed itself it needs the PATA drive in to boot up. Removing the second SATA drive made no difference. I could try re-installing windows again with the PATA disconnected.

Associate
OP
The Spec is:

Athlon XP2500
Abit NF7-S
1Gb PC3200 CH-5
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
Terratec Aurion Space 7.1
USR Wireless LAN card
160Gb Samsung P80 PATA
160Gb Samsung P80 SATA
250Gb Samsung P120 SATA

Thanks for any help :)

Associate
OP
Right, well i have just reinstalled Windows with both the 160Gb drives disconnected as Phemo sugested and all seems to be working!!

I'm going try connecting them back up again now and see what happens!

Thanks Phemo :)

Associate
OP
right, it works ok as long as the PATA drive is not connected. Do u think this means the drive is dead? :(

I have tried the drive on the other channel but it makes no difference

Thanks,

Gregeff

Back
Top Bottom