WiFi Router/Mesh upgrade options

Soldato
Hi,

I have some deadspots I need to fill, due to the layout and very thick walls in my house I need at least 3 wifi points really (or 2 very good ones).

I currently have a Netgear Orbi system, I've never been completely happy with it as the software was very buggy for a while and it's very expensive to buy extra satellites. They're also pretty large.

I'm looking for an alternative system, the Google/Nest system seems ok - but extra satellites are still a bit pricey and they all seem to have an assistant speaker in which I'd rather not have.

The Amplifi Instant system was another that looked decent - but I can't find anywhere that seems to sell the mesh satellites separately.

This has led me on to looking at a Unifi system - I used to have a couple of AP's of these a few years back before they were meshable, so I have a little bit of background of them. The issue with these is the cost of entry is pretty high (by my calculations I'd need at least a USG, 2/3 access points as well as a cloud key?) But the bonus seems to be plenty of options to extend the network, outdoor access points etc - it seems a good ecosystem.

I'm a bit torn really, I don't particularly need the advanced network features a Ubiquiti system would give me - but it does seem to have the best options for extendability. Most of the off the shelf mesh systems seem to be hard or expensive to extend further. And I begrudge spending more money on extending my Orbi system which I'm not that happy with anyway.

Thoughts/ideas anyone?

Caporegime
The Amplifi Instant system was another that looked decent - but I can't find anywhere that seems to sell the mesh satellites separately.

You can add another instant home router as a mesh point, or the Amplifi HD mesh point (AFi-P-HD) which plugs straight into the wall. The HD mesh points are hard to get as I've been having some issues.

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/a...ing-AmpliFi-Standalone-Devices-as-Mesh-Points

If you use another router you can then use ethernet backhaul if you had the option of running cables between them. The benefit being a cabled link between access points but still being on the same wifi network as you walk around the house. It's a basic system but I didn't fancy having to install a controller and running cables/getting a poe switch for Unifi APs.

I've been running the Amplifi system myself and I am happy with it, I found this thread as I was searching for any mesh points/routers in the members market :D

Back
Top Bottom